Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon to become the owner of a 1953 King Zephyr Baritone Saxophone (which unfortunately will arrive without a mouthpiece). I would love to hear from other King Zephyr Baritone players about what mouthpiece they use. I play in a RocknRoll band specializing in 1950's music.
I normally play a Yamaha 62 tenor with a Yamaha 7CM mouthpeice, so I am new to the world of the Baritone Sax. I am keen to use the Baritone on a few songs, and also featuring on some ballads which we will do as instrumentals.
Any suggestions and comments from other King Zephyr Baritone players would be most welcome.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,872 Posts
Old white Brilhart! Very 50s R&R, and should tune nicely on that horn.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have a '41 Zephyr and it plays nicely with a Berg 110-0 but I personally have gone off the "super bright" tone of the Bullet baffle and I also have developed a distaste for metal mouthpieces (just the feel of metal in my mouth).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,182 Posts
rubber berg or metal otto link. i played a LOT of 50,s bari on a metal link on a king super20 and even moved up to a dukoff but that was overkill

·
Registered
432 Posts

If this is anything as good as his other mouthpieces (sop, alto and Tenor) it's a steal.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My late 70's/early 80's Zeph plays great with Otto Link STM, but for what I imagine to be 50's R&R sound I might look elsewhere, I think this might be too dark a setup perhaps.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I'm super happy with the PPT signature and Rico Royal 3 reeds on my Zephyr Baritone. Good intonation (despite some palm keys, but that's a key opening issue), very versatile from Mulligan to R&R and reasonable priced for a Baritone piece..
Some audio tracks with pete playing his signature and his power (hooligan):
You can contact Pete Thomas here on SOTW or on his website.

Reactions: B Flat

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,272 Posts
I'm super happy with the PPT signature and Rico Royal 3 reeds on my Zephyr Baritone. Good intonation (despite some palm keys, but that's a key opening issue), very versatile from Mulligan to R&R and reasonable priced for a Baritone piece..
Yes they’re definitely reasonably priced for such well made/faced pieces.
I have one of the first variety that later became the power model.
I had the baffle lowered a little on this one.
And I just recently (today) received one of the later bronze/ebonite power or hooligan pieces.
The earlier one has a longer shank but they both tune well on my old Baritones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
And I just recently (today) received one of the later bronze/ebonite power or hooligan pieces.
I am soon to become the owner of a 1953 King Zephyr Baritone Saxophone (which unfortunately will arrive without a mouthpiece). I would love to hear from other King Zephyr Baritone players about what mouthpiece they use. I play in a RocknRoll band specializing in 1950's music.
I normally play a Yamaha 62 tenor with a Yamaha 7CM mouthpeice, so I am new to the world of the Baritone Sax. I am keen to use the Baritone on a few songs, and also featuring on some ballads which we will do as instrumentals.
Any suggestions and comments from other King Zephyr Baritone players would be most welcome.
I played a '45 Zephyr for 15 years, mostly in big bands. Chances are compared to a Yamaha the intonation may be challenging in spots. General advice and my experience is round chambers, minimal or no baffle help a lot. I eventually settled on an SR Tech. Pillinger PPT is great also if you get a well matched ligature. The RPC mentioned above is as good as it gets but for tone and projection but be sure it is a good match for your horn. Zephyrs have a great sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love Pete's sound on the audio tracks. This might be exactly what I am after. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,433 Posts

The correct answer for me was Vandoren V16

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,577 Posts
My old king is a Kielwerth stencil I think? The mouthpiece that I really like is a Jody jazz hard rubber. it’s pretty pretty large opening.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just recently picked up a 1962 VI, decided to get the Jody HR7. Sounds great to me but then again these days all I do is small group jazz.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,577 Posts
This is a recording of my Bari with the Jody jazz mouthpiece. It gives me the Gerry Mulligan sound that I am going for.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts