Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my Dolnet Imperial (or Bel Air?) Jules Revan stencil serial no. 41069 from Jeremy Soule at www.thevintageclarinetdoctor.com who deals in rare french makes. The condition is amazing with about 99% of the original lacquer left, with only some spots on the bell, it actually looks as if it has been in its case most of its life. Jeremy has replaced the pads/resonators and overhauled the horn and the action is nice and quick. I like the sound from this horn, its big but mellow with a lovely french core tone. First impressions about the tuning are good when I tried it with a Vandoren AL3 classical mpc, when using a phil tone special .076 tip mpc (my normal mpc) it was out on some notes but really easy to adjust the pitch to where it should be, the large bore may have something to do with it? Does anyone know about these horns?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
By the (great) looks of it this is a Bel-air. It is in remarkable good shape and indeed it could be a closet-horn. They are very good players despite the not very modern mechanics ( older fashioned than their contemporaries Ba, SBA, Mark VI ) which are more of a drag on tenor and baritone than they are on alto. Well done. Enjoy!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the (great) looks of it this is a Bel-air. It is in remarkable good shape and indeed it could be a closet-horn. They are very good players despite the not very modern mechanics ( older fashioned than their contemporaries Ba, SBA, Mark VI ) which are more of a drag on tenor and baritone than they are on alto. Well done. Enjoy!
It looks brand new apart from some spots on the bell, and the case is the original and new looking as well, I have played it every day since it arrived, I can't put it down! I am getting used to the at first awkward LH pinky stretch for Bb, B and G# now, the action is very light and the sound is in a totally different league to my friends MK VI, which I thought was great horn until the Dolnet arrived.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts