Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a Cleve with the Clocktower engraving.

original lacq around 60-65%. Given the usual treatment:

disassembled
chem bathed
dentwork (there wasn't much to do)
hand polished
holes leveled
around 40% new pads
new corks/felts regulating materials as required
rods cleaned and lubed
reassembled
regulated

Great little horns; of the American made second-shelf models the Cleves probably tie with Martin Indianas as the best in terms of tone, action, response, mojo.

Big old-school tone, nice and wide and lush - a bit brighter and more focused than a Conn, but still plenty of complexity to the overtones and these have some really nice 'punch' and edge to 'em.

Comes with a case in fair aesthetic, solid structural shape.

$429 plus ship, Paypal. $409 Paypal F&F or US Postal MO.

Ships from NM. International sales are cool by me.

·
17,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Time to move this one, folks....$349 + shipping Paypal. This is a sweet playing horn, 'tis.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Time to move this one, folks....$349 + shipping Paypal. This is a sweet playing horn, 'tis.
I love my 50's clocktower - 613? Its huskier than my Yamaha or Conn, and my favorite alto at the moment. I've got a lot more in mine than this deal, which seems like a steal.

·
17,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indeed, yes these puppies have a lot of Cojones....my favorite aspect about Cleves.

Bang for their buck, you get a lotta horn for very little.

I usually sell these for $500ish, refurbed - but due to the finish I am willing to move it cheaply.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If this Alto is anything like my Cleveland Tenor, you're giving this away George! My tenor King is so different from my Conn. Playing at a wall, it's so "in your face" by comparison. Love that about my Cleveland!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'm curious as to what changed between this model and my '70s 613 alto. I'm guessing the later 613 has cheaper build quality, but are the bore or neck different too?

·
17,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI: The "Clock Tower" has never actually housed a clock. It is the "Terminal Tower" building, tallest building in North America outside of NYC from 1930 until 1964. Yes, I'm a proud Clevelander and would love to add this to my King collection, but not right now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_Tower
Thanks....but hmmmmm...."Terminal Tower", not sure that has quite the marketing ring to it :|.....maybe I will just refer to it as "Tower" from hereon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.