Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I had a conversation with the owner of this Birdland menu. He went to hear Charlie Parker and Red Rodney play. He was an enlisted sailor stationed in New York. Stan Getz, Harry Belafonte, Lee Konitz were there hanging out listening. Symphony Sid was broadcasting the concert. He went around and got all their autographs. Miles was there too. I'll have the BBQ Rib dinner for $1.75.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,769 Posts
That's great, thanks for posting. This ought to be on Antiques Road Show. Does the menu owner remember what year he went to Birdland?

I'll take a hot ham sammich, a banana split, and a bucket o' beer.

Oops, almost forgot my veggies, I better have a plate of french fries with that order.

By the way, I think this is the first actual sighting I can recall on this forum of someone who actually saw Charlie Parker live. I knew a guy years ago who said he went to a club in New York to see Bird, but unfortunately when Bird got out of the cab he was too indisposed to be able to play.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was early 1951. He's 82 years old now but remembers it very well. He said Symphony Sid was stationed at a small booth where he was broadcasting the concert over WJZ. There was an intermission pianists between sets but couldn't remember who it was.

I think Charlie Parker lost his "Cabaret Card" soon after this. He said he remembered Bird playing Ornithology at a very fast tempo.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I had a club sangwich and a Tom Collins in 1954 while listening to "Les Jazz Modes" with Oscar Pettiford, Charlie Rouse, Julius Watkins, Gildo Mahones & Art Taylor? at Birdland.
Playing the piano with upside down hands opposite them was Slim Gaillard. "Cement Mixer, Putty Putty." That was the first live jazz I ever heard and went there many times afterward.
Thanks for bringing back great memories of "The Jazz Corner of the World".

·
Registered
649 Posts
"I'll have the BBQ Rib dinner for $1.75."
"I think it was early 1951"

In 2014 money, that would be $17.28. Not exactly a bargain for a BBQ Rib dinner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts