Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 400 TH&C Tenor saxophone and at first I was a bit confused by the octave pip since it had 4 holes.

After digging in a bit further, I found out it was called a salt shaker octave pip, and it was to improve intonation on A. The saxophones that featured this were TT's from the 1920s - 30s and not from the 400 series.

Is it common to see the "Salt shaker" necks on the Buescher 400 TH&C?

78 Posts
I have two here in the shop. A 317xxx and a 325xxx. Both have the normal, single holed, neck design. That's a cool find!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
My 1924 TT tenor has it but it is a standard octave lever design as opposed to the underslung version you have. This is the first one in this particular configuration I have seen, both in real life and online (I did a bit of searching after I got mine and never came across anything like what you have).

Very cool find, indeed. The TT saltshakers also had a different hole configuration, essentially just 4 little circular holes whereas yours has radiants cut out.
The original purpose was supposedly to suppress some of the hiss when opening/closing the vent - at least that's what I was told by the grandson of the original owner of my horn.
I can't really say whether it makes a difference beyond a Klangbogen effect but after a complete overhaul the TT is absolute killer in terms of tone and punch.

Bottom line, just that particular neck would have been reason for me to buy the instrument.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Yup that's not very usual. Never seen one IRL, but I've seen a couple online.
Super cool feature! Does it make the neck better? No idea...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts