Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I don't play the sax. I was helping with an estate sale and we found this sax tucked away in an attic cubbyhole. I took it to a horn shop to learn a little about it. That is where I got the year and the make of it. The shop owner said it was in great shape and a great find. He recommended this site to learn about this sax. Which forum would be the best for learning about this horn?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

OK I am adding information about the horn that I was given that I did not realize was that important. I am new to this so I will find a way to add pictures.

It is an alto and has the original lacquer and pads. The serial number on the horn and on the neck piece (?) match. There was something special about the mouthpiece too. I will have to look at my notes. It was made in Paris. There are two long rods (sorry about lack of sax terms knowledge) in the front that are made from nickel. Engraving is in great shape. There are some very minor scratches and a couple of tiny dings on the horn, but was told buy the horn shop that it was in great shape despite those. It is in a case that he said was supposed to hold a flute and a clarinet too. The case is leather. The zipper works but is missing the zipper pulls and the clarinet part, apparently they took out the innards so they could have more room. It has pretty purple velvet inside. When I get home, I will look at my notes and see if I missed anything.

I want enough information about it so that I can go looking for someone who will love it and treasure it. I am in a small town in West Texas and I don't know anyone who would be interested in it. Surely someone in Dallas or a bigger place like that would like it. I just have to know what I am talking about first. :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hi,
Advice will come thick and fast.

Beware, if it is a Tenor, it's probably the most sought after horn on the planet right now and you will likely receive offers and private messages that try to twist your arm a bit or even worse.
You are better trawling old threads and letting people help you with your questions beyond that.
Take your time, it should be worth a lot you are very lucky.
There will be some very good advise amongst the advise with an angle to prise it away from you :shock:

Effectively though what do you want to learn?
It was made in the 40's or 50's after the Balanced Action.
There were some modifications along the way before the Mark VI was introduced.
Incidentally Super Balanced Action was the name adopted for it. Its real name was the Super Action. This happened when Selmer bought out the Super action 80 to help distinguish between the 2 era's of horn with similar names.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
If it really is in great shape, it is worth a pretty penny. If it is has been sitting for a long time, odds are the pads won't seal and it will need some TLC, but it is still worth money, just not quite top dollar needing an overhaul. If the plan is to sell it, sell it as-is and let the player that buys it take it to their favorite tech to have it set up the way they like it. You'll have more buyers for the as-is horn than if you arbitrarily have it repaired.

Where are you located? What kind of horn is it (alto? tenor? soprano? bari?) What is the finish (lacquer? silver? gold plate?) A link to pictures will help.

I'm assuming the info you're looking for is "how much is it worth?"

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, the price range for a SBA tenor would likely be from $4500 for a relacquer to maybe $14000 for a mint condition original lacquer horn. Everything in between is based on condition and prior repairs, damage.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I think you need to have some time before you can post pictures. Most people usually post to picasa or flickr and share here.

Swingout - relacquer or not, I don't think I've seen an SBA tenor for $4500 recently.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Bekki - I just saw the edit of your original post, for further comments, please reply to thread and not go back to the original post, it will make the thread difficult to follow otherwise.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Looks great from the pics!

The sax itself is probably worth about $5-6000, depending on how the parts not shown are in good condition. Sounds like it has the original Chesterfield case, though the case doesn't add monetary value really. The mouthpiece sounds like it could be a Selmer Soloist, which you'd want to sell separately from the horn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry I haven't updated lately. Huge project at work. I am uploading better/more pix to share with y'all.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts