Sax on the Web Forum banner

1947 Conn 10M Lady

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  livingthedream 
#1 ·
So I'm bidding up a 1947 10M tenor online that I would be compelled to do a full overhaul with. It's probably 80% lacquer, absolutely original, been sitting a LONG time. No whammos. I wouldn't be surprised if it has original pads.

Sight unseen, how high would you go?

#2 ·
Well, the question is...how much do you think it's worth ?

10M RTH prices have exploded over the past 2 years...sorta ridiculously so, I might add. So, folks bafflingly seem quite willing to pay $3g for a well-serviced RTH Lady nowadays.

Are you willing to invest that much ? Is it worth it ?

Unlike, say, a Mark VI or a Buescher THC...in the past decade Lady 10M prices have fluctuated. So while the former two have maintained and increased their market value since, say '08...10M's have gone up-down-up-down. What is that about ? Who knows. Would it happen again as the global economy continues to shrivel ? Are we in a mini-bubble which is gonna burst soon ?

Anyone wanna place bets ?

What can I suggest ? People right now are willing to pay a lot for one of these (while non-RTH ones - exactly the same horns minus the hole edges - are still within reason). Is this feeding frenzy indicative of a fad ? Folks with disposable incomes who wanna keep up with the Joneses ?

Apparently some idio-- ...um, folks...are willing to spend $3500+ for a repadded one.

Go figure....

How much does your tech charge to do an overhaul ?

The horn in question will end over $1g, guaranteed.

In 2018 is, say, a $2500 total investment a 'screamin' deal' on an RTH Lady which in 2012, overhauled, would'a gone for around $16-1800 ?

#9 ·
Well, the question is...how much do you think it's worth ?

10M RTH prices have exploded over the past 2 years...sorta ridiculously so, I might add. So, folks bafflingly seem quite willing to pay $3g for a well-serviced RTH Lady nowadays.

Are you willing to invest that much ? Is it worth it ?

Unlike, say, a Mark VI or a Buescher THC...in the past decade Lady 10M prices have fluctuated. So while the former two have maintained and increased their market value since, say '08...10M's have gone up-down-up-down. What is that about ? Who knows. Would it happen again as the global economy continues to shrivel ? Are we in a mini-bubble which is gonna burst soon ?

Anyone wanna place bets ?

What can I suggest ? People right now are willing to pay a lot for one of these (while non-RTH ones - exactly the same horns minus the hole edges - are still within reason). Is this feeding frenzy indicative of a fad ? Folks with disposable incomes who wanna keep up with the Joneses ?

Apparently some idio-- ...um, folks...are willing to spend $3500+ for a repadded one.

Go figure....

How much does your tech charge to do an overhaul ?

The horn in question will end over $1g, guaranteed.

In 2018 is, say, a $2500 total investment a 'screamin' deal' on an RTH Lady which in 2012, overhauled, would'a gone for around $16-1800 ?
Maybe we're in a bubble. Maybe not. If you want to talk about a Super 20 Silver Sonic with full pearls for $16K I'd say yes we're in a bubble. A nicely restored RTH 10M for $2500 seems reasonable in this market. I bought an original lacquer 95% 10M, non-RTH 10 years ago for $800 and put another $900 into it for a complete overhaul. Today something similar is going for around $2000. Given that for some reason the RTH are more valued I'd say $2500 is a fair price. Now $3500 is nuts unless it looks like it just came out of the factory and is in original condition. -edit- I see you bought it. Congrats. I hope you got a good price. Sounds like you got a good deal.

#3 ·
1947 has both rolled and straight tone-holes.
mostly its the pre-war conn's that fetch the higher prices,so anything after 1942 is USUALLY a bit weaker in price,even with RTH.
prices fluctuate because of buyers mostly,sometimes this brand is wanted ,other times its the other brand ,sometimes just in general vintage saxophones will go up or down ,or how the mark6 prices are.
condition is the other factor.neck.bell-body brace.major problems with 10M's.
these days,without looking at the horn you are talking about,$1000-1400
hope this helps?

#6 ·
I think the 10M is a bit over valued at that price, it is catching up with the price of King Super 20. In the past couple years, I can see good condition rolled tone holes 10M for less than $2000. Now, they are often listed at $2300 and up. For that money, I would buy a King Super 20 or Yanagisawa 99x. I know it is subjective. And you can find other great horn for less, like King Zephyr, Buffet S1/SDA, or Keilwerth? Tones of options. But if you like Conn, maybe you will like Buescher. I always feel the Conn and Buescher has a wider spread type of sound, while the French horns has a more center sound. I played now a Buescher Super 400, it is the same horn as Top Hat, an absolute bargain if you can find one. King is kind of in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
The 1947 10M with RTH went for $1780, but then it was re-posted -- I guess the winner of the first auction didn't pay for it. I got it in the second auction for a lot less. My once over tells me it needs everything, pads/springs/corks/felts/cleaning/dent removal/neck reposition (it's pulled down a little I think), so into the shop it goes this weekend. I'll look forward to trying it after overhaul, see if I can get used to the different hand positions and all. I haven't had an old horn with articulated G# since I was a teenager with a King alto from the 20's.

Automotive tire Amber Gold Wood Tread
Musical instrument Automotive tire Brass instrument Tire Wind instrument
Musical instrument Automotive lighting Brass instrument Wind instrument Amber
Musical instrument Wind instrument Automotive exhaust Metal Office supplies
Musical instrument Purple Human body Wind instrument Reed instrument

#10 ·
I paid $1200, I had figured $1250 was my ceiling. My youngest son is a horn tech, I'll get him to do the overhaul. I figure it'll cost a good $800-1000, maybe more to make it just right. The guy who does my Selmers could do it if my son is too booked up, he's over 100 miles away but worth the trip. Kind of thinking I'll take the case to a shoe and luggage repair guy to fix it up a bit too, it's in basically pretty decent shape. I think the horn is a pretty good specimen overall, and I like old stuff -- this is someone's grandpa's horn, it came to me from Indianapolis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.