Sax on the Web Forum banner

1947 Conn 10M Lady

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  livingthedream 
#1 ·
So I'm bidding up a 1947 10M tenor online that I would be compelled to do a full overhaul with. It's probably 80% lacquer, absolutely original, been sitting a LONG time. No whammos. I wouldn't be surprised if it has original pads.

Sight unseen, how high would you go?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Bidding is up to $1580 with 7 days to go. Pretty crazy! I'd estimate a minimum $800 to overhaul it. It's pretty nice cosmetically. I guess if you're the guy at the end of the rainbow, this is a deal worth pursuing.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
The 1947 10M with RTH went for $1780, but then it was re-posted -- I guess the winner of the first auction didn't pay for it. I got it in the second auction for a lot less. My once over tells me it needs everything, pads/springs/corks/felts/cleaning/dent removal/neck reposition (it's pulled down a little I think), so into the shop it goes this weekend. I'll look forward to trying it after overhaul, see if I can get used to the different hand positions and all. I haven't had an old horn with articulated G# since I was a teenager with a King alto from the 20's.

Automotive tire Amber Gold Wood Tread
Musical instrument Automotive tire Brass instrument Tire Wind instrument
Musical instrument Automotive lighting Brass instrument Wind instrument Amber
Musical instrument Wind instrument Automotive exhaust Metal Office supplies
Musical instrument Purple Human body Wind instrument Reed instrument

Discussion starter · #10 ·
looks like a good horn,and will be fantastic when overhauled.
what price did you get it for?
do you do the work yourself?
I paid $1200, I had figured $1250 was my ceiling. My youngest son is a horn tech, I'll get him to do the overhaul. I figure it'll cost a good $800-1000, maybe more to make it just right. The guy who does my Selmers could do it if my son is too booked up, he's over 100 miles away but worth the trip. Kind of thinking I'll take the case to a shoe and luggage repair guy to fix it up a bit too, it's in basically pretty decent shape. I think the horn is a pretty good specimen overall, and I like old stuff -- this is someone's grandpa's horn, it came to me from Indianapolis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.