Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm a refugee from the Trombone forum. I know, nobody's perfect..........

My dad played tenor and sang during the late 1940's in St. Louis, MO.

We have his instrument, and looks like none of the grandkids will go for it, so will probably be selling it.

My question is regarding the mouthpiece, an Otto Link, serial number C96, and marked "New York, NY."
- at the base, or shank end, is stamped ToneMaster 9*
- but on the flat part (table?) it is marked 5*

Can you please help identify which model it is? Would there be any reconditioning likely needed, or is that something a buyer would want to have done to personal preference

I have attached photos showing the two numbers, have others if they would be helpful.

Many thanks, appreciate your help!

Dave Orr
Oak Park, IL

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
It’s called an Otto Link ToneMaster. It looks to be in ok shape. With the cap that protects the reed and the ligature that holds the reed on the mouthpiece, maybe you could get $400 or so for it. Not the most desirable of Link mouthpieces but somebody may want it.
I’d rather see photos of the sax.

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts
My question is regarding the mouthpiece, an Otto Link, serial number C96, and marked "New York, NY."
- at the base, or shank end, is stamped ToneMaster 9*
- but on the flat part (table?) it is marked 5*
Welcome to the forum Dave. :)

You mouthpiece is an Otto Link Tone Master from the second model, made between 1946-1949. This model is also sometimes called the John Coltrane model (he played a 6 tip opening with an extra baffle added, to get a brighter sound).

The tip opening of your piece is a 5*, which was about the largest made in those times (some larger do exist). The 9* on your piece is not a tip size, it's actually a musical note often misinterpreted as a tip size stamp. I have a piece like this in my personal collection (mine is an early Tone Master from before 1946).

Depending on if it's fully original and including the cap and ligature the value could range from 350 to 550 USD (roughly). You could check recently finished eBay or other auctions to see what these pieces go for.

Here are some links to sites giving some information about the Otto Link models produced since the 1920's:

- Theo Wanne: https://theowanne.com/knowledge/mouthpiece-museum/otto-link-mouthpieces/
- Nicolas Trefeil: https://www.nicolastrefeil.com/otto-link-history-and-models and https://www.nicolastrefeil.com/improved-tone-master

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Dave,
I'm in Berwyn. If you want to sell the mouthpiece and horn (we're salivating here on SOTW to see what it is) you have many options. Easiest for you would probably be to put them on consignment at PM Woodwinds in Evanston, but you'll take a hit with the consignment fee. The positive is that has a great reputation here and abroad with excellent internet visibility. I have a horn there now for that reason. There's Chicago Craigslist, Reverb, etc. if you want to deal with that personally.

·
Registered
61 Posts
All of the above is great info! I have an original 5* tone master that plays nicely. Good mouthpieces and the prices mentioned above are fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts