Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I would like to know what the deal is with the Holton 230 alto sax. Is it a pro level horn? Also, any information about ergo’s, tone, quirks... Ect....
What is the price range on this sax??? Mint----A mess.

Thanks...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Bob,
I can't speak to the 230, but I have 2 separate 232 altos, and a 241 tenor. The 2XX series horns were Holton's pro horns of the 40s-50s. My 232s are very stoutly built, with much improved keywork over the 1930s and prior models (I have three older Holtons too). As wth other Holtons, they have soldered tone holes too. Price range: you should be able to get them very cheaply, as Holtons don't command high prices at all. Given this, there is no reason to buy one in poor shape. Keep your eye out for a good deal--don't "settle" for a poor horn. I paid $350 total for both my altos, and they're pretty darn decent, but do need pads. I paid $300 for my 241 tenor, and that baby is mint, but again, with older pads.

I like the ergos on mine, but I also play only vintage horns. I notice no tone quirks on mine, and they also strike me as very "mouthpiece friendly".

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob,
I can't speak to the 230, but I have 2 separate 232 altos, and a 241 tenor. The 2XX series horns were Holton's pro horns of the 40s-50s. My 232s are very stoutly built, with much improved keywork over the 1930s and prior models (I have three older Holtons too). As wth other Holtons, they have soldered tone holes too. Price range: you should be able to get them very cheaply, as Holtons don't command high prices at all. Given this, there is no reason to buy one in poor shape. Keep your eye out for a good deal--don't "settle" for a poor horn. I paid $350 total for both my altos, and they're pretty darn decent, but do need pads. I paid $300 for my 241 tenor, and that baby is mint, but again, with older pads.

I like the ergos on mine, but I also play only vintage horns. I notice no tone quirks on mine, and they also strike me as very "mouthpiece friendly".
Thank you for the thoughtful reply...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.