Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just purchased a 288xxx Buescher Aristocrat tenor. It's missing a part (pictured, circled in green where it should be). I've only played clarinet and not the sax, so I'm not sure what this part is called and better yet if it's readily available or available at all. I bought the horn for less than $200, so a little investment into it isn't a problem.

sax_missing.jpg

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading a lot about these horns here and it's been a wealth of knowledge!
thanks,
Roy

·
Registered
113 Posts
You got an amazing deal on that horn. I would have paid at least $600 if it was in okay shape. To me, it looks like you are missing the alternate high F on that horn.. or at least, the part that goes up to the high F key. It shouldn't affect playability, all it does is prevent you from using your alternate high F.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,184 Posts
Correct that it is the lever that works the "front F". If you look at that first pearl, it closes the first key (B) and opens the palm F at the same time. This is for some of the higher fingerings and is not all that important. With time, you can have one fitted (not available as parts).

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Someone probably has an Aristocrat or Bundy II parts horn laying around that you might be able to make a deal with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,830 Posts
exactly, a quick F (which I wouldn't call " alternate F " ) , shouldn't bee too difficult to replace or even have one made from scratch from a competent repairman, you have the posts and that is more important.......... I have seen several horns with this missing part, I don't know why someone would loose it but I can imagine that some folks removed the key if the never use any altissimo and they wanted to prevent opening accidentally this key

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,594 Posts
wow, great deal on it indeed.
I also love my Aristocrate tenor 278xxx.

Concerning the missing part, Lance Burton (MartinMods) can do everything , every sax part.

Do you have more pics from your "Crate"??:)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,436 Posts
Yes, for some reason you are missing the two levers (if that's the correct term) that activate the front F key. The actual key is there, thought. I think a tech could fix this easily for you if the parts are available. I can't imagine why someone would remove those levers.

These are great horns and you got an incredible deal. If I was you, I'd get that horn to a top-notch tech, who knows Bueschers and get it put into perfect playing condition. You'll still be WAY ahead in total cost for the horn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone with all the great info! Here are some more photos. Am I correct in identifying the springs as the Norton type and the pads as the original snap in type? All the pads are the same as this with the exception of one which is white with a hole cut out of the center with no resonator.

sax_1.jpg
sax_2.jpg
sax_springs.jpg
sax_pads.jpg

It's got dents and lots of wear but it does sound great! If there is someone out there with a parts horn that has this part please let me know. Also can anyone recommend a good tech in the Seattle area?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,436 Posts
Two levers? I only see one missing.
I don't know the proper terms. Maybe it's one lever with two 'arms.' I'm looking at my '39 Aristocrat right now and there is one arm that gets pushed down by the front F key and a second arm that lifts the palm F key up. So I guess maybe it is one lever, now that I think about it. Thanks for the correction.

·
Banned
2,793 Posts
It's just missing one piece, and the screw that goes with it. It has a lever on each side, one for the palm F key, and the other curves downward, passes under the C# pad cup arm, and is activated by the LH Front F key. I have an identical tenor here now. I could make a copy of the part. PM me if interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts