Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently happened upon an early 1940 Conn 10M at a mostly guitar oriented used instrument shop. The horn looks nice but is most likely a relaq, but to my very untrained eyes it appears to be an early relaq, the engraving is still rather crisp, the color is right for the period. It has a mix of old and newer pads. It plays amazing. It’s everything these vintage Conns are always being bragged about, and the tone is miles better than my previous ‘55 10M.

I guess I’m just wondering if the price was so good because either this shop didn’t know what they had, relaqs like this really drop the value a ton, of im just the luckiest sumbitch on earth. I’d enjoy reading some of your assessments of the attached photos. Thanks! View attachment 215682 View attachment 215684 View attachment 215686 View attachment 215688 View attachment 215690 View attachment 215692 View attachment 215694

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I don't know what you paid for it but you may be the luckiest sumbitch on earth. It's hard to tell from photos, but that engraving looks pretty dang crispy and I could believe that it is original lacquer. If I had it in my hands I may think otherwise.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The side keys, palm keys and pinky keys don't show any lacquer wear at all, meaning if it's original lacquer it was never played very much at all. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the pearls don't show much wear either, I think. That'd account for the superior cosmetic condition overall. But if it's a relaq and you love it, no problem!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it plays amazingly well. And sounds great. It was substantially cheaper than almost every pre war 10M I’ve seen on here, original
Or relaq. I parted ways with a horn I really liked a lot to get on this, because it was just too good to stumble upon and let it pass by!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The side keys, palm keys and pinky keys don't show any lacquer wear at all, meaning if it's original lacquer it was never played very much at all. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the pearls don't show much wear either, I think. That'd account for the superior cosmetic condition overall. But if it's a relaq and you love it, no problem!
Good point. And looking at the mix of pads, some of
Them likely original, and the way the mechanism feels, somebody played the hell outta this thing at some point in its life, enough to where they had to change pads out multiple times.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Photo 4 of 7 shows some pretty original looking engraving. I'd have to hold in my hands to be sure but it looks original to me. Either way, relaq doesn't affect the sound. That's been established here over and over. It only affects the originality which affects price. I'd love to have it. I'm playing a non-rolled tone hole 10M from 58-59. Much newer but plays great.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
What did you pay for it ?
Curiosity prompts that question. However, you're obviously happy with the price, judging by your comments.

Why did you buy it ?
Did you buy it primarily as an investment or as an instrument to play and enjoy ? If you wanted it as an investment and it's a relacquer, as Kritavi suspects, you may have done your dough. If you bought it as an instrument to play and enjoy, what does it matter whether the instrument is original or an early relacquered one ? It looks great and I gather it plays great, too. Well-done relacquers are the best bargains, anyway, because ferslugginer collectors won't touch them and won't be driving up the price.

Conn made their best tenors in the decade between 1937 and 1947, and this is one of them; if you got this fine-looking horn at a really good price, I'm green with envy.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
687 Posts
No doubt aboudit, you're the luckiest sumabitch on earth. I wish stuff like this happened to me.

Congratulations and play the hell out of it. I love my '48 10M, but for some stupid, non-logical, entirely emotional reason, I also want to love a pre-war 10M.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did you pay for it ?
Curiosity prompts that question. However, you're obviously happy with the price, judging by your comments.

Why did you buy it ?
Did you buy it primarily as an investment or as an instrument to play and enjoy ? If you wanted it as an investment and it's a relacquer, as Kritavi suspects, you may have done your dough. If you bought it as an instrument to play and enjoy, what does it matter whether the instrument is original or an early relacquered one ? It looks great and I gather it plays great, too. Well-done relacquers are the best bargains, anyway, because ferslugginer collectors won't touch them and won't be driving up the price.

Conn made their best tenors in the decade between 1937 and 1947, and this is one of them; if you got this fine-looking horn at a really good price, I'm green with envy.
Definitely bought it to play, no consideration whatsoever on it being an “investment”. I’m a player 100%, i have a few horns but I’m no collector. It’s more that I’m a historian about my horns. I loved this horn from the first note i played on it, so now i have to obsess over every detail. And I can pretty much assure you I’m never selling it, it’s been “the” tenor for me for a long time, so I’ll tell you i spent roughly $1000 for it. That may be totally reasonable, but to me it seemed like a real steal.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive read about the low D issues on these horns, wobbly at times. I didn’t have a problem with it during my testing prior to purchase, but I only play loud and obnoxiously so I’m probably ok. Lol!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Roughly $1,000 ? Good God ! — that was one hell of a deal. I paid twice that for my relacquered 1937 10M (the horn I'll never sell), and I still reckon I got a bargain at that price.

There's no low D issue with either of my 10Ms (the other is 1949); nor have I come across it on any other 10M. However, there's a noticeable weakness on the low D on both my 12Ms — noticeable to me, that is, but no one else can hear it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts