Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serial No. 26495 I'm a serious pro player this was my Dad's horn. I have no idea what the value is so I'm open to suggestions. Cosmetically it's is very good condition the lacquer looks like new - (could be) My Dad lived in Las Vegas and I was given the horn - and it's been sitting.

The question is: Who could evaluate a horn like this? I'm looking for a quick sale if I offer it so I'm thinking this could be the "prime ax" for a serious player - cause I don't know what or if it needs to be set-up.

I play an SX90 and my current T55 mouthpiece isn't a good match for this horn - or my playing style.. So I can't honestly tell you what the playing condition is cause my ken of reference is too different... I don't have the time or desire to make the necessary playing adjustments etc., That's why I think this needs to be in the hands of a serious player-tech who can understand what it is and knows how to get the best...

Any thoughts?

-Bob

·
Registered
74 Posts
As a rough guideline, if it is relacquered but otherwise straight and in good mechanical shape, 5k is in the ballpark. Maybe twice that to a collector if 100% original and with the case. I would strongly expect "like new" lacquer on a well-used horn to be a relacquer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2013
1,757 Posts
doh, Whaler I didn't see it! But the Poster should read the rules for selling stuff here too ....

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
Keep the horn. Tastes change and unless you need money you shouldn't sell your dad's horn. The horn flippers around here would try to get it from you cheap and sell high.
It is a good vintage Selmer. Unless its been run over by a truck it more than likely play well with a little TLC. Try to find someone local to look at it or get a leak light and take a look yourself. You hear too many stories about high priced overhauls hear that seem like unreasonable prices to me.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
As a player who flips horns, I agree with some of Whaler's points. If you don't need the dough, keep the horn. I disagree with his comments about sending the horn off to someone like Randy Jones for an overhaul. That is the best money you can spend to make this horn play like it should. Unless it has been dropped off an airplane from high altitude, that horn is worth 4K minimum for a bad re-lacquer and more if it is original. You dad's horn could be a real treasure. I wish I had one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
I've got a BA like that 26609. It has an excellent re lacquer job. I bought it from a world class player many years ago. A tech I really trust in the Boston area valued it at around 6k about 6 months ago.

If you don't need the money don't sell it, it won't go down in value and they are nice horns. I played mine for 15 years or so, quite different than most MKVI,s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! Thanks for all the responses...

Obviously I've got a dilemma here. The Selmer sat in a corner of my studio for the last eight years. A couple years after my Dad passed I tried to play it and actually thought it was busted - I couldn't get it to play - so I never touched it. After I posted here yesterday I felt compelled to play it. ***! I was shocked! I think I was busted if you catch my drift... IT SCREAMS!

Something about the Selmer. I feel more connected to it - like it's more emotionally responsive than my Keilwerth SX90. I had a Morgan Jazz - with a metal shank - and put it on the Selmer and this thing sings! There's an immediacy of connection I don't get with the Keilwerth. The "K" feels almost disconnected like it's out there in front of me... Where the Selmer feels like it's a part of me...

Here's the thing: I was with my Dad in 1962 when he went to Weirlines Music (I hope that's spelled right) In New Orleans (we were living in Metairie at the time) when he bought the horn. I actually used it for the first year and a half of my pro career starting when I was 19. So I've got big history with it...

But, I'm needing money... Now I'm thinking maybe I should let the Keilwerth go.
It's the "shadow" dark nickel finish - it's easy blowing and flawless playing. Bought it new in 1999 and aside from a couple of minor scratches on the inside of the bell from stage mics it's in fabulous condition... But when I play the two horns together I swear the "K" is like holding a machine - very precise and sounds amazing - but the Selmer is a whole different experience. I've got Mk 6 soprano and alto horns too - so the "K" was the first non-Selmer I've ever played since I was 19...

Things were simpler two days ago... HA!

Yes I am in East Helena, MT Bob Baran is my name and you can google it...

I really do appreciate the feedback...

-Bob

·
Registered
847 Posts
"The Selmer feels like it's a part of me..." just says it all...............

It's how I feel about my Borgani.

Be happy about the relationship, and enjoy!

Blowhard2

·
Registered
435 Posts
I play a 24,XXX balanced action and it's a fantastic horn , I'm a pro too and I had lots of saxes , including an 80;XXX VI and a Conn tranny.
For me the balanced it's the best sounding selmer horn , less midrangy than the VI , better and bigger low end , plays great at any dynamic range and since it has a bigger bore than the VI it's more spread sounding ( almost like a conn "hugging sound") which I love.
you can play or buy other keilwerth (and you can find shadows on used markets) , but a horn like your dad one is a very rare thing...

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
As a player who flips horns, if I were lucky enough to inherit a balanced and I had a shadow as my main horn to sell, I would sell the shadow in a heartbeat no matter how much I could get for the balanced. I may be a flipper, but I'm not stupid and since it didn't cost you anything, keep the balanced. The balanced is my dream horn and the only horn that I would trade for my M'Lady. Sell the shadow for 4k, send the balanced for a full re-pad and you will never look back. The other side here is that horn was your old man's axe. Having lost my father, I would kill to have something that cool that was his. You lucked out man!! Enjoy playing the best tenor ever made.

·
Registered
606 Posts
As a player who flips horns, if I were lucky enough to inherit a balanced and I had a shadow as my main horn to sell, I would sell the shadow in a heartbeat no matter how much I could get for the balanced. I may be a flipper, but I'm not stupid and since it didn't cost you anything, keep the balanced. The balanced is my dream horn and the only horn that I would trade for my M'Lady. Sell the shadow for 4k, send the balanced for a full re-pad and you will never look back. The other side here is that horn was your old man's axe. Having lost my father, I would kill to have something that cool that was his. You lucked out man!! Enjoy playing the best tenor ever made.
William Bua says all that needs to be said about this. I concur.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts