Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1937 SML Rev. A „Standard“ Alto

Just got a Rev. A Standard alto in good state (95% original silverplating, no dents or severe scratches, only some small resolders, no play around the rods and pads might still be the original ones !? )

To my surprise this „Standard“ model seems technically to be more advanced than other Rev. A specimen like the “Primax“ or the „Alliance“, that are pictured at Saxpics.
It has rolled toneholes, front-F key and the neckbrace of the later models. The bellkeyguard is nicer, too, than the ordinary rat-trap wireguard.
Not that far away from my Hawkins Special.

Any thoughts about this model?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Re: 1937 Rev.A „Standard“ Alto

I have a Rev A Alliance that is pretty much identical to the Hawkins Special.
I can’t post pics at the moment though.
I don’t think the Standard, Alliance, Primax etc name have much bearing on the horns features.
Their manufacture date may be more important in that perhaps those made in the latter part of the Rev A time frame might have more features or improved features.
I think I dated mine to 1941 from memory.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Their manufacture date may be more important in that perhaps those made in the latter part of the Rev A time frame might have more features or improved features.
That would be logical, but mine is an earlier Rev A model (13xx) with most of the later features.

Another story: it has some black pearls that are said to be used during wartime, because white pearl wasn‘t available for the French manufacturers… but it was build in 1937? Maybe just another myth.

One bad construction point I see in early SMLs is their weak neck receiver. It has been repaired on both of my altos. One had to be renewed completely:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5obeiFZYpMI

·
Registered
454 Posts

Hi Dirk,
what about the sound? Did you compare it with other SMLs and how did you find it?
Just curious about these earlier models, even concerning the comfort of the keywork (ergonomics)

Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The sound is what you would expect from an SML in these early models, too.
The bell diameter seems to be slightly larger than on Selmers of the same time (see picture). Maybe that this contributes to a full sound down low; not sure.

The keywork is comfortable for me; especially for smaller hands (talking of the alto). You have to get used to the lefthand pinkytable, which is rather small and the palm keys are low and risers might help.
Action feels very good and sufficiently fast if the horn was set up well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts