Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have a 1936 Conn 30M I am thinking of selling along with a Otto Link Slant Sig mouthpiece. Trying to find a fair selling price.

Any advice for me ?

thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
These horns are a bit rare. I would do a search on Ebay for a Conn 30M, and check out sold items. I saw 3 that have been sold there in the last 3 months. Then compare yours to them, and go from there. At least it should get you in the ballpark...
Good luck! And welcome to SOTW!!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Yes, there are not as many 30Ms around as there are 10Ms — I've seen it estimated as about a quarter the number, but that is still quite a few !

You've told us nothing about its condition nor provided any photos, so it's hard to give you an answer, since market price depends not just on availability of the model but also on the condition of the particular instrument (pads, springs, dinges, original lacquer or relacq). The price could be anywhere from US$2,500 to US$5,500.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
My $0.02, there's no reason to sell the mouthpiece with the sax. They are both highly desirable in tenor land. Price them separately.

Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would love to have this horn... one day I am going to own one.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos. I've had a close look at both sets. It's an awful shame it was stored in a basement all those years – it must have been pretty damp there, because the storage has really played havoc with the finish. It's a "player's horn" now, rather than a "collector's piece."

Given that you've had work done on it to ge it into shape mechanically, I'd reckon on a price of US$3,000 - maybe US$3,500. That's what I'd be offering anyway, if you were to put it up for sale.

As for the mouthpiece: yes, sell it separately, most definitely !

·
Banned
566 Posts
looks like a relac. to me and i would value around $2200-2500,as it will need a complete overhaul and the case is probably a little rotten too from basement sitting?

·
Registered
604 Posts
looks like a relac. to me and i would value around $2200-2500,as it will need a complete overhaul and the case is probably a little rotten too from basement sitting?
Hard to tell this (relac) for sure from the pics. In some the lacquer looks the same color as my original 30M. None of your pics show a good, close-up, and in focus view of the engraving
Take some better photos - maybe outside in natural light. And make sure they're in focus.

FWIW, there will ALWAYS be someone in this forum that jumps right in with "it's a relacquer." Take these with a grain of salt, as many on this forum are "internet educated" (i.e., not experienced with the subject in the real world). I do not know livingthedream, so I cannot speak to his level of knowledge. (for all I know he may be a great and experienced saxophonist and/or horn tech). I'm just saying that this is a common reply to horns for sale, so you need to evaluate the source of such comments.

·
Banned
566 Posts
(for all I know he may be a great and experienced saxophonist and/or horn tech)
a mediocre player and a mediocre saxophone tech and a conn player and conn lover.
one never REALLY knows until its in the hand,and even then hard to tell about originality of lacquer sometimes.
as i said in my post,"it looks like a relac to me".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts