Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey Everyone! I decided to sell this beauty. It is for sale on ebay with 12 pictures to view. I am not able to advertise on sotw until i reach 100 posts and 1 year of membership. If you have any questions feel free to email me at: [email protected] or call me at 951.219.5795.

Btw i appreciate everyones input on model, finish, etc!!

Thanks Matt

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,282 Posts
You should post a link to the ebay auction. Best to C&P from the top of the page (not just the item number) so we can direct click.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Is it a 201 or a Professional?? What's the difference?
It's both. Holton in many cases had a name and a number (i.e. Revelation/214, Stratodyne/214, or Collegiate/566, etc.) Others had only names, or only model numbers though (i.e. Rudy Wiedoeft, and the 233, 241...)

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How does the Professional stack up against the other models in terms of desirability and rarity? Is the elaborate engraving rare for Holton?

Thanks Matt

It's both. Holton in many cases had a name and a number (i.e. Revelation/214, Stratodyne/214, or Collegiate/566, etc.) Others had only names, or only model numbers though (i.e. Rudy Wiedoeft, and the 233, 241...)

·
Registered
735 Posts
How does the Professional stack up against the other models in terms of desirability and rarity? Is the elaborate engraving rare for Holton?

Thanks Matt
The closest market indicator I have found was this 'Rudy' gold-plated one, sold recently on ebay for less than $600:- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holton-Rudy...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I daresay those engravings on yours are rare if not unique, but that doesn't necessarily translate into lots of extra dollars being offered. However, after your auction closes, YOU will be in a better position than any of us to answer your own question. Many of us will also be interested to know what you find out about what the market is prepared to pay for your horn; then, please let us know. All the best...

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I certainly will! Thanks for all the feedback!

Matt

The closest market indicator I have found was this 'Rudy' gold-plated one, sold recently on ebay for less than $600:- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holton-Rudy...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I daresay those engravings are rare if not unique, but that doesn't necessarily translate into lots of extra dollars being offered. However, after your auction closes, YOU will be in a better position than any of us to answer your own question. Many of us will also be interested to know what you find out about what the market is prepared to pay for your horn; then, please let us know. All the best...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
400 Posts
I see this horn or a similar model currently on EBay. Looks like Holton had some sliding cork attachment necks around in the early 1930s, so they used them up on these last horns of the 1920s bore. It should still sound relatively brighter than any contemporary, making it useful for more modern styles, besides pre-war II music. This specimen is extremely rare and if you scracted "Conn" on the bell, it would easily bring $2000.00 as a Conn Transitional with deluxe engraving. (just kidding about the scratch, of course). The Conns of the 1920s-early 30s were big-bore, loud, and could fill a hall in the pre-microphone days. The next model, the Conn 6M alto of the mid-30s, which became a huge big band era selled sounds dull compared to the Holton and it takes an aggressive mouthpice to bring the 6M up to a lead alto sound, whereas the Holton is fine even with the stock mouthpiece. It's to our advantage that so-called experts make statemants about Holton saxophones that are based on rumors and not playing the thing. Why would a world-famous maker of brass instruments and the world class Holton-Farkus French horn make a "tinny-sounding Yugo of the saxophone world" (off the internet when you search Holton). Pro players assumed the saxophone line to be school horns, as Holton rarely advertised their saxophones to the pro market. I don't know why...there's no sun up in the sky, etc. I agree with JayePDX that you should expect no more than $750.00. Good luck. Hope it winds up in an appreciative home.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts

Thanks Matt
Unfortunately, it's rare but not particularly desirable.

I don't have any experience with Holtons other than sopranos, but I expect it is a much better instrument than its reputation would indicate. If I needed an alto, I'd certainly consider this.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Also Holton was one of the few that made a C soprano keyed up to high F. Great horns for a good price.
Yes, I know, I bought one from you and it is a really nice little horn. Kind of odd key placement, but that's why the good Lord equipped us with multi-degree-of-freedom joints at our wrists and fingers. Great sound. Well in tune.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,455 Posts
Nice horn, gold plated as mentioned, and similar to the Revelation. The engraving is interesting, but not particularly desirable (I am probably one of the biggest collectors of engraved horns). I would imagine it selling for ~$500? The neck design, btw, is borrowed from the Wiedoeft model. It requires a specific mouthpiece and uses no cork (see:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d7Sfk_e_USnITXlpbxC5GXCuaa503Ay5). The corking on these is not original, nor intended. From a playing perspective, they are pretty good horns, especially from an action standpoint. Tone tends to be on the darker side.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts