Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I picked up a 1933 Holton "Professional" Alto Sax 144xxx. Im not sure what model it is or is it rare? It has beautiful engraving on the inside lip of the bell, bow area, and bell. It also has a neck where it comes apart. Any Info would be great. I cant seem to upload the pics. Shoot me your email and i will email them to you.

Thanks,

Matt Wickam

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its actually 114xxx I screwed it up on the serial...hahhh Does that make any difference? What do u think the value is? Is this the sought after Holton? It does look like gold plating.

Thanks Matt

QUOTE=Brenton;2104827]If s/n 144k is correct, http://www.holtonloyalist.com/serialnumbers.htm suggests it is from 1941 rather than 1933. Certainly very rare with its extra engraving, and looks to be gold plated (?) Very nice...[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info! This baby is all original....its the pics that probably came across that way. Everything on this horn is in amazing shape. The finish has not been buffed...engraving is sharp and equal. The tone holes have not been filed etc, etc. The case is even in amazing shape.

Is the Holton Professional there top of the line, back in the day? and is it the most sought after?

Thanks for your input!

Matt :mrgreen:

I agree. Looks to me silverplated and laquered afterwards.

Btw. we discussed a Holton 'Professional' 5 years ago:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page16

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Bruce! The problem is there is really no wear...but I will see if I can get some more photos up. Good info on the Gold Plating process!!

Matt

You may want to put it up here at SOTW first. Remember that ebay will take out 13-15%. To make sure it is gold plated, look where it is worn and you should see silver plate underneath. Nice looker.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey Everyone! I decided to sell this beauty. It is for sale on ebay with 12 pictures to view. I am not able to advertise on sotw until i reach 100 posts and 1 year of membership. If you have any questions feel free to email me at: [email protected] or call me at 951.219.5795.

Btw i appreciate everyones input on model, finish, etc!!

Thanks Matt

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How does the Professional stack up against the other models in terms of desirability and rarity? Is the elaborate engraving rare for Holton?

Thanks Matt

It's both. Holton in many cases had a name and a number (i.e. Revelation/214, Stratodyne/214, or Collegiate/566, etc.) Others had only names, or only model numbers though (i.e. Rudy Wiedoeft, and the 233, 241...)

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I certainly will! Thanks for all the feedback!

Matt

The closest market indicator I have found was this 'Rudy' gold-plated one, sold recently on ebay for less than $600:- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holton-Rudy...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I daresay those engravings are rare if not unique, but that doesn't necessarily translate into lots of extra dollars being offered. However, after your auction closes, YOU will be in a better position than any of us to answer your own question. Many of us will also be interested to know what you find out about what the market is prepared to pay for your horn; then, please let us know. All the best...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts