Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I picked up a 1933 Holton "Professional" Alto Sax 144xxx. Im not sure what model it is or is it rare? It has beautiful engraving on the inside lip of the bell, bow area, and bell. It also has a neck where it comes apart. Any Info would be great. I cant seem to upload the pics. Shoot me your email and i will email them to you.

Thanks,

Matt Wickam

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,013 Posts
:| "also has a neck where it comes apart".....(?)
There are a lotta Holton fans here, but we really need some pics.....go to the advanced button under the reply window. Click it, then on the next page go to the attachments button under that reply window. You should be able to upload directly to the thread.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its actually 114xxx I screwed it up on the serial...hahhh Does that make any difference? What do u think the value is? Is this the sought after Holton? It does look like gold plating.

Thanks Matt

QUOTE=Brenton;2104827]If s/n 144k is correct, http://www.holtonloyalist.com/serialnumbers.htm suggests it is from 1941 rather than 1933. Certainly very rare with its extra engraving, and looks to be gold plated (?) Very nice...[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi Matt, it's the gold-plating and rare engraving that make it sought-after among certain collectors (rather than just players). If I was selling it, bidding would start at ~$750.00 (ie. if the market won't pay $750.00+, then I'd happily keep it !). Cheers...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,319 Posts
You may want to put it up here at SOTW first. Remember that ebay will take out 13-15%. To make sure it is gold plated, look where it is worn and you should see silver plate underneath. Nice looker.

·
19,013 Posts
It seems to be something similar to a Holton Revelation, in detail. Sorta resembles a 230 as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLTON-230-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Really pretty. If it IS plated, that is exquisite ! I have a gold-plated Revelation Tenor, and I will never sell her. Just a fabulous old Tenor.

These are excellent horns, are you sure you just wanna flip it ? They are really nice players when serviced properly.

Does it have a model number anywhere either on the engraving or by the serial # ?

·
Premium Member
831 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info! This baby is all original....its the pics that probably came across that way. Everything on this horn is in amazing shape. The finish has not been buffed...engraving is sharp and equal. The tone holes have not been filed etc, etc. The case is even in amazing shape.

Is the Holton Professional there top of the line, back in the day? and is it the most sought after?

Thanks for your input!

Matt :mrgreen:

I agree. Looks to me silverplated and laquered afterwards.

Btw. we discussed a Holton 'Professional' 5 years ago:

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?70892-Holton-Saxophone-Serial-number-registry/page16

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Bruce! The problem is there is really no wear...but I will see if I can get some more photos up. Good info on the Gold Plating process!!

Matt

You may want to put it up here at SOTW first. Remember that ebay will take out 13-15%. To make sure it is gold plated, look where it is worn and you should see silver plate underneath. Nice looker.

·
19,013 Posts
So it is a sort of suped-up Revelation/230 sorta model.

Yes, it would have been top-line in it's day and probably not many produced.

"Rare" yes, but that is a relative term.

This is why, IMHO, you might consider keeping it rather than flipping it.

Holtons do not have a very high market value....many disparaging things were said of them by foolish people who never played a nicely-set up one...and sadly, as internet 'information' is often nothing more that "whoever writes it down first"...Holtons are left with a steep hill to climb.

Unfortunate, and those of us who love 'em know otherwise...but such is the market.

$750 is about tops for what you would be looking at for one, I'd imagine. It's possible it could get into an eFlay bid war, but just as possible that it would end at $500.

Very nice find, and again because of its condition, really might be worth keeping...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,319 Posts
As mentioned, it is a great looking horn and any heavily engraved gold plated horn is "wanted" however being a Holton hurts as it seems everyone is afraid of Holtons, Yorks, etc. I agree that you should keep it as it IS rare and really not a high value horn.
As to the tuner,; Holton used these on the Rudys in the late 20s and continued using them after the Rudy stopped. I think that would make your horn more of a mid 30s alto.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.