Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father picked up a 1929 Rene Guenot french made tenor saxophone when he was in Europe during World War II. It sat in the attic the entire time we grew up as kids and I never heard him play it, although I know he loved to play it when he was younger. I recently had it refurbished to playing condition, and it sounds beautiful. Does anyone know anything about this manufacturer? It also says MODELE; J. MAYER AND ESSAYE GARDE REPUBLICAINE. it has a b flat key also. Any information would be neat to pass on to my siblings who one time or another all hauled it out of the attic to honk on as children.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
this brand appears every now and again also on this forum (several entries look for them with the search function...). Probably not very valuable, like most French saxophones apart from Adolphe Sax and Selmer, unless rare like the bass featured in the pics at the bottom of this link

http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25033

occasionally shows up on e-bay but never fetches great value.
:)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rene Guenot

Thanks Milandro for the information. I have been enjoying playing it in any event; although I grew up a trumpet player, I took advantage of my ten year olds introduction to the alto sax to learn along with him; he's a natural and now I'm looking to move from renting his alto to buying him one; he loves to play and I am not worried about him quitting. Any ideas of make/model that I should be looking at?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
well I am sure this horn is very valuable to you for personal reasons and it will always play probably very well, value is in the eye of the beholder, of course and commercial value probably doesn't apply here. Thank God not everything has to be measured by how much it is worth it, isn't it?

It is said the it is better to learn on a mainstream modern instrument rather than a vintage horn with his peculiarities.

There are many inexpensive saxophones nowadays and there is no reason to be squeamish when it comes to these Chinese inexpensive horns.
http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Chinese_alto.htm
this is a very good article which is a very good indication about many saxophones good and cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts