Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and are looking for Martin experts help as well. I have a 1929 Martin Handcraft tenor (92205) and would like information about it. I need to figure out whether or not to overhaul it. It plays pretty well with that deep Martin sound but seems to have a few leaks. I am not a professional but am having trouble hitting high notes. The horn has etching all the way down the bell, which is a shinier gold than the matte gold finish around it. There seems to be silver shining through in spots. The horn is missing its original neck but the LA Sax neck fits perfectly and has not been an issue. I play with an Arnold Brillhart metal mouthpiece. Does anyone know anything about this model? Is it worth spending a few hundred bucks to overhaul it?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
There is a website called "The Martin Story" that is all about the various Martin saxophone models. You should check that out as it is very informative.

Are you sure it needs a full overhaul. It maybe just needs a few pads replaced or some adjusting for significantly less than the cost of an overhaul. The trouble you describe (hitting the high notes) isn't normally indicative of pad problems, assuming you are not having trouble with the low notes as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,036 Posts
These are the best of the handcrafts as they have the front F and usually the high C# adjuster. Since it is gold plate, it may be worth repairing. Photos?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,952 Posts
There is a website called "The Martin Story" that is all about the various Martin saxophone models. You should check that out as it is very informative.

Are you sure it needs a full overhaul. It maybe just needs a few pads replaced or some adjusting for significantly less than the cost of an overhaul. The trouble you describe (hitting the high notes) isn't normally indicative of pad problems, assuming you are not having trouble with the low notes as well.
Martin story. http://www.themartinstory.net/version7/cookieLaw.php
Martin handcraft info https://forum.saxontheweb.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=34386&d=1332676736

I also agree that you may only need a reasonable tuneup aka COA. Clean-Oil-Adjustment. Depending on what part of the world you live in could be as little as $100 For a nice tuneup. That is a very nice instrument you have. Would love to see some pictures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help. I am going to bring it to a sax expert who will tell me what it needs. I hear that he is honest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Martin handcraft info https://forum.saxontheweb.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=34386&d=1332676736

I also agree that you may only need a reasonable tuneup aka COA. Clean-Oil-Adjustment. Depending on what part of the world you live in could be as little as $100 For a nice tuneup. That is a very nice instrument you have. Would love to see some pictures.
Thank you very much. I just posted some photos of the sax.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thank you.

·
3,952 Posts
Looks nice for a ‘28. Well worth taking in for some TLC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I brought the horn to a sax repair guy. It only needed two pads, some cork, and adjustments. He only charged me twenty! The tenor is playing great now. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I hope that you realize that you have a C-melody. Glad to hear that you didn't spend too much on it as a result.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I hope that you realize that you have a C-melody. Glad to hear that you didn't spend too much on it as a result.
Looks like a Bb tenor to me. It has the teeter totter style chromatic F# key, which is what Martin Bb tenors had. The C melodys had a larger pad cup lower on the back of the body.

·
3,952 Posts
In gold?? Wouldn’t that be rare for an C melody?
Bruce, I had to go back and read the OP. It’s a different neck, LA Sax.

·
3,952 Posts
I brought the horn to a sax repair guy. It only needed two pads, some cork, and adjustments. He only charged me twenty! The tenor is playing great now. Thanks for the feedback.
That’s excellent! It’s always good to get one up and playing. Down the road you can always fix things like dents.
Just out of curiosity how long is it from the bottom of the bow to the top without the neck attached, 29 inches?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Well...if OP uses a modern replacement Tenor neck and says the horn plays well with it, there's your answer, eh ? ;)
Very nice horn, yeah it occupies a narrow place in Martin evolution, being a splitbell with the front F.
Actually, a monster Tenor....a bit too bad the original neck is gone, as it's likely the contemporary one makes it blow brighter....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts