Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my alto is currently a Yamaha YA23, circa 1999-2000. I was thinking of upgrading it a little bit, and went around looking for vintage altos. I came across a guy who's willing to let his 1928 Martin alto go for cheap, to the tune of $125. He says there might be a pad or two that need replacement, but otherwise, the sax is in pretty good condition. He gave me several pictures:

What are your thoughts regarding this switch? Worthwhile, or a waste of time? This is, of course, assuming the horn plays well when I try it out- I just want to know whether or not I should meet up with him. Is $125 a decent price? Is the horn known to be good? (I know many pre-1928 horns didn't have a front F key, so I'm wondering if there are other known issues associated with similar alto saxes?) Is it better to just stick with the YAS23?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Grab that Martin or send me the buying info.

Don't sit there.....go get it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
More than a buck and a quarter. There's an earlier one on eBay now starting at 450. It looks like yours may be gold plated.

Forget the price, these Martins play great.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
336 Posts
I agree that it's a great price. It will most likely need a bit of work if he is letting it go that cheap, and you will also need to spend some time finding the right mouthpiece. You will also find it a much bigger challenge to play in tune than your modern horn. Definitely keep us post after you get it!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Let's not get into a thing on intonation. If you can play, it's not an issue. And...that would be tone holes not pad cups, adamk. The tech needs, if any, can be dealt with at that price.

But it would look good next to my 1920 HC tenor!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that it's a great price. It will most likely need a bit of work if he is letting it go that cheap, and you will also need to spend some time finding the right mouthpiece. You will also find it a much bigger challenge to play in tune than your modern horn. Definitely keep us post after you get it!
I most certainly will keep you posted about it- expect something from me tomorrow between 2:30 pm-3 pm central time 8)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: trying to meet this fella didn't work out the first time. Trying again today... I could literally write an entire chapter on this ordeal.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: Actually met the guy today; he seemed nice enough for me to spare the details of whatever happened yesterday.

Anyway, I ended up paying him $100 in cash and five 40% silver US half dollars, so that's roughly $113, or about $116.25 if you're counting bullion premiums.

The pads aren't that great looking, but they seem to be working alright for the time being. I see myself changing them and maybe getting a chemical wash in the not-so-distant future. It came with a cool case, and sadly, not much case candy... just a small "Martin" mouthpiece (with ligature and cap) and a leather neck strap (which I'll probably toss away; it's pretty dirty and has a really weird substance on it). It might be gold plated; I took a close up shot for people to decide (see below).

I'm currently away from my house, where I have some alto sax reeds. As soon as I get home later, I'll give it a try. Until then, here are some pictures:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts