Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone offered me the opportunity to buy a '26 Handcraft tenor. If this horn is typical of the breed then all i have to say is, these are some badass horns.

Despite the funky ergos (no front F and a real tough pinky table) i decided to buy it... With the original Martin mouthpiece, my sound is unlike any other horn i've ever played.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Another person bitten by the Martin bug! Congrats! Ergos aren't too funky...give yourself some time and they will feel fine

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
I have a Dick Stabile Sorkin tenor, does that count, lol?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
you might ask your tech for a quote to add the front f

my tech had no problem

did not cost that much

works great

·
Registered
222 Posts
I love my 1926 Handcraft alto! I can actually fly on it, despite the ergos. The low C# key took some getting used to, but I can really maneuver around the left hand pinky table now. It works with pretty much all of my mpcs too. Martins are fantastic, I think the older ones have great character. I'm going to add a Martin tenor to my collection someday. Congrats on the acquisition! Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I love my '35 Skyline. Ergos ARE a bit of a problem, but the sound and response outweigh these problems.

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should this vintage have a serial number on the neck?

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 1926 Handcraft Tenor has the most georgous sound. It is the most played sax I have.

Congrats on your Martin and enjoy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,075 Posts
With the original Martin mouthpiece, my sound is unlike any other horn i've ever played.
Try a newer or more modern mouthpiece. You might discover even more dimensions of the Martin saxophone sound. I still have the mouthpiece that came with my Martin "Official Music Man" tenor but it's kind of a dud. I love my Metalite mouthpieces on my Martin alto, tenor, and bari.

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey SOTW folks, just paid off and took delivery of my "new" Handcraft today. It has a satin finish which i originally thought was silver and I had planned to leave it unpolished because it has such a nice patina.

I decided to polish just the bell interior. When that showed to be rose gold, i decided to polish up the engraving. Now that appears to be gold plate and in fact, the entire horn seems to be satin gold not silver like i first thought... i've been wrong about gold plating before (most notably on my Art Deco King Zephyr tenor) and i could be wrong this time as well.

One thing that suggests the possibility of it being a higher end model is the engraving...it's even more elaborate han the alto mentioned here: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?204861-For-Sale-A-1928-Martin-Gold-Plated-Alto.) Also, has log cabin in the pines scene.

So, regardless, i'm thinking that maybe it's a "collector" horn and that I should sell it...i have a plethora of excellent horns so it is "expendable"... any comments.

BTW. The horn plays well, and seems to be dent free; the neck has lacquer wear but no pulldown; the strap ring has "zero" wear and it has the original sales slip and a paper trail showing past owners.

thanx

·
13,075 Posts
pix, puh-leeze

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pix, puh-leeze
i hear ya...just don't have the time right now. i did find this bit of info; the bill of sale (Chicago Musical Instument Co. dated 9/22/26) says it has finish #4. Anybody know what that is?

·
13,075 Posts
pix, puh-leeze
i hear ya...just don't have the time right now.
I understand. It's just that this part made me so damn curious to see ...
I decided to polish just the bell interior. When that showed to be rose gold, i decided to polish up the engraving. Now that appears to be gold plate and in fact, the entire horn seems to be satin gold not silver like i first thought... One thing that suggests the possibility of it being a higher end model is the engraving...it's even more elaborate than the alto mentioned here: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?204861-For-Sale-A-1928-Martin-Gold-Plated-Alto.) Also, has log cabin in the pines scene.

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
13,075 Posts
So my question is would youse guys sell or keep?
Keep. It's a bee-yoo-ti-ful horn. And the vintage horn market seems really depressed right now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,072 Posts
And the winner is......................YOU!
These series II tenors don't have the high C# adjuster but not as important as it is on altos. That horn should clean up nicely once disassembled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts