Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

well lately i've had my eyes on a couple different buescher tenors, but just a little while ago i stumbled upon a very nice looking '24 handcraft tenor on ebay and i'm really interested in this one now.

the seller sounds like he knows what he's talking about and sounds experienced. he says its a Low Pitch with a serial number of 48265.

what should i look out for? it's in amazing shape from what i can see, only has a couple tiny dents which are barely noticable and a small weld on the neck where the octave key is attached.
i have sent the seller an email asking if it's a Bb or C melody. would you guys happen to know which one it is? also, do you guys know if this sax comes with the front F key?

how good does it sound? its at a good price right now also (i think), it's at 260 now with 2 days to go.

here are a few pics for you guys...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
saxtunes said:
.....i have sent the seller an email asking if it's a Bb or C melody. would you guys happen to know which one it is? also, do you guys know if this sax comes with the front F key?
Saxtunes - look at the pics... There are only four LH pearls there, so no front-F - that came in on Martins some years later.

And, from the position of the Low-B cage, one leg is almost on the bell joint. That, and the overall proportions makes this almost certainly a Bb tenor.

Good luck.

PS - No, I can't see in the dark - I pasted a couple of the pics into (e.g.) PSP and brightened them up a bit to have a better look - pity the seller didn't do the same, although the way they are may keep the price down a bit for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey guys thanks for the tips and links. I asked him the questions about the corrosion earlier today and received this response from him:
ebay seller said:
Well, I got the sax out again to examine the tone holes and look for any signs of corrosion as explained on your reccomended website. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that there is any trouble around any of the tone holes, definitely nothing looking like the picture on that website. The worst thing I could see around the outside base of a few of the tone holes was rough silver plating or perhaps tarnish or just a little gunk. Certainly nothing structurally wrong with the tone holes. I can definitely tell you that this horn has no leaks and produces strong sound and plays easily all the way down to the bottom, I never had any problems playing the lows on this thing.
how's that sound?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,036 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the soldered holes. Even if there are a few leaks, they can be patched.

·
Registered
239 Posts
:cool: I have a 1926 HC. The HC's play beautifully but the left hand pinky finger will have a problem, in that the keys are arranged in a different position then a modern day sax. So there is this pinky finger waving around in mid air trying to find the proper key.:) :) :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
bruce bailey said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the soldered holes. Even if there are a few leaks, they can be patched.
Yep, the response from the current owner sounds very scrupulous.

And yes, as my earlier link explains, even Superglue will do the job on the tone-holes, apparently. But the bloke asked for things to look out for...

I got used to the old-style key positions fast enough. I'm not sure it's the end of the world, unless you move back and forth between instruments a lot.

Again: good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys. the price is up to 480 right now with about 5 hours to go... we'll see how high it takes me. hopefully not much higher!

i'm sure i can live with the pinky finger issue. and heck... it's vintage, i can live with that! heh thanks for all the help fellas. i'm looking forward to winning this auction and getting my first tenor soon!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Must have been relisted, it's still got over four days to go, unless there is more than one Martin with a serial number of 48265...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts