Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I bought a 1926 Buescher True Tone alto sax on eBay and I received it today. The listing said it comes with the original mouthpiece, but it doesn't look like I expected it to. It doesn't have a shank at all. After google searches and looking for mouthpieces for sale, I couldn't find any other alto mouthpieces (Buescher or otherwise) that look anything like it. The engraving reads The Buescher Elkhart IND. Eb. I was wondering if anyone can give me any info about the mouthpiece I received? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,668 Posts
If you didn’t put the picture with the measurements and the one saying Eb I‘d though this would be a soprano “ stomp” mouthpiece. They look almost identical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you didn't put the picture with the measurements and the one saying Eb I'd though this would be a soprano " stomp" mouthpiece. They look almost identical.
Yes, that's what I thought too. The mouthpieces that I found in my searches that looked similar were all soprano mouthpieces.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone cut off the raised hard rubber ring on the end of the shank. Probably played with a real loose lip. Those mouthpieces are fine though... if you want to sound as if you're coming out of a victrola.
Thanks! That's what the seller said too, that someone probably cut off the bottom part of the mouthpiece. He offered to swap it out for me when he gets another vintage Buescher alto mouthpiece in another week or so. Not sure if the shank makes much of a difference in sound or intonation, but I'll probably take him up on the offer as long as the MP is in good shape. PS. had to google victrola 😁 and yeah that's the sound I'm going for. I think it sounds cool! It's the 20s again after all. Sooner or later, everything old is new again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,443 Posts
That shortened mouthpiece made me think about Conn's with the microtuner neck . . . I wonder if at sometime, someone had the shank shortened to butt-up against a microtuner on a Conn saxophone before the piece ended up in your Buescher's case. I have a Conn alto mouthpiece with a similar flat end. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,775 Posts
That shortened mouthpiece made me think about Conn's with the microtuner neck . . . I wonder if at sometime, someone had the shank shortened to butt-up against a microtuner on a Conn saxophone before the piece ended up in your Buescher's case. I have a Conn alto mouthpiece with a similar flat end. DAVE
I was thinking about that too. Something about 3/8 of an inch difference ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts