Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1920's L&H Makers Chicago with beveled tone holes.
Not sure if this may be a Buescher True Tone, an actual L&H or a Martin.....? I don't think Conn was doing beveled tone holes at this time. Pics of the "PAT. July 19th 1921" Mpc are over in the alto mpc page

·
Registered
136 Posts
In my opinion it is made by Couturier in Laport Ind. after L&H bought them. To be sure see if the neck will fit in any other altos. If its too big its made by couturier. Their bore size was much larger. I can almost fit the neck tenon of a cannonball neck inside the tenon of L&H couturier I have.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Bruce, it reads:
A
171XX
L

I didn't think that Courturier had the ability to do nice beveled tone holes since they only existed a very short time and then ceased. They must have had serious intentions of competing with the "biggies". Seems like Martin was the leader in that arena. I'm tempted to keep it and add it to my tenor collection just so I can learn "Summertime" on alto. How's the sound/tonality on these? Worth sticking a few hundred into or just so-so sound qualities? I could sell it and apply the proceeds towards a sweet tenor mpc, but if they play nice maybe I'll repad.

Seph, that's a great tip. I wish that I had another alto to try the neck on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dave they are typical of Couturier as well. Couturier saxes also have a more Y shaped low c guard; a little different than the Mercedes style conn guard. The Member Laporte has posted a great deal of knowledge about them in the lyon and healy forum.

They Don't sell for much. I got a L&H Couturier model sop in working condition a few years ago for $400 and liked it so much I decided to get an alto. I bought one that Kind of plays but needs an overhaul on ebay for about $150. So they don't fetch a high price. You likely wouldn't recoup the money on an overhaul. Junkdude has a Couturier alto for $550 erroneously marked as a Martin. So that should give you an idea of the absolute top price you could even ask for if you wanted to sell it. I havn't played a good condition alto so I can't say if it would be worth it to put any money into. I do plan on having mine overhauled eventually though.

I belive L&H changed the keywork on them sometime after they bought them. Mine looks exactly like junkdude's but with L&H engraving. Yours looks like the L&H keywork. Talk to Laporte he can let you know for sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Correct on the Courturier. There were some in the early 20s like the one here and then the later ones had the 200,000+ numbers from about 1928-30 and later ones may be labeled Holton. I have had a few of these and they are nice but the intonation up high is not that great. One problem area on some of these would be the fit of the neck where it has a horizontal slit in addition to the vertical one. These are prone to leakage and packing with cork grease will help. I had a 200,000 series soprano and it was excellent. Those horns have a clown face engraving and some have Pan playing the pipes and a double hinged octave key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts