Sax on the Web Forum banner

1920's Chu Berry Alto Discussion

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  CDsax 
#1 ·
My Great-Aunt sent me her ancient Alto from when she played in a junior regional band after she heard I had taken up Tenor, and am playing in a junior jazz band my-self. This saxophone is very old and was old before she got it, and now needs over $600 worth of repair. (which is a lot considering i'm just going into high-school and have no job.) I'm planning on using christmas and saved money to repair it, and was wondering if any one had some personal opinions/experiences with this instrument.

#2 ·
Depending on the condition, vintage, and a plethora of other factors, pouring $600 into it might not be your best choice. You can find a playing Chu Alto for that price currently on eBay or privately. They can be great playing horns (I have one), but if you expect to get your money back out, you need to consider what it will be worth after an overhaul.

#3 ·
Here's a link to the Chu Berry Club: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?78622-Conn-New-Wonder-II-Alto-Saxophone
I own a '29 Chu alto and when I fly I take the Chu. I can fit it under a seat if necessary in my Protec case. I've used it professionally for years. They're built like tanks, can sound sweet and vintage or loud and raunchy depending how you play. For $600.00 you'll have a great horn. You might be able to get a used Yamaha 23 student horn for that price, but I'd take the Conn anyday! There'd be no comparison in tone. I guess it's a matter of perspective. There are alot of happy Chu owners out there. In fact, I'm going to take mine out and play it all afternoon. :) Enjoy!!

#4 ·
Its in Great condition, and the serial code dates it in 1928. It even has the original sheet holder thing. (I forgot the actual name.) The only things i found wrong with it was that the octave key didn't work properly. (I haven't actually had a chance to play it and it probably needs new pads) And I don't really feel like taking the risk with Ebay. (plus most "working" Chu Berry's on Ebay are about $1,500) and I don't know if the overhaul will actually be $600, that was the long&mcquade estimate not the proffesional one. (as in not the estimate from the guys who will actually do it.) I currently own a used King 615 Tenor as my first sax. It's a nice student horn, but i don't think it would be worth it to put a nice (meaning expensive) Mouthpiece on it. :) Thanks for the link.

#7 ·
Gold lacquered (has a shine) or gold plated (usually matte body with keys that shine)?
Don't overhaul it, just have what needs fixing done. Post a photo or a link to a free photo site (flickr, etc.) showing the pads and possibly you can get the octave sorted out and use it as is. These are great altos and I have used them often. I play a 6M or King mostly now but my CHU is a keeper.
One added thing is that even if you redo it, it is from your family and that is an amount that cannot be replaced.

#11 ·
Great news! I got one of my parents to drive me down to the music store and picked up a reed, completely cleaned out and disinfection my sax, tried it, And guess What it works pretty great!!!! And I know that I'm a DumbA$$ for not trying it earlier, but i still have one problem. The Octave key half works when I bend the neck thingy (again for a lack of words) but it gradually stops working and i'm scared to keep bending it for fear of over-bending or snapping it off. I also noticed that the ring at the bottom of the neck thingy had been broken before and fixed by welding a slightly thiner piece where its touching the "neck thingy part thats actually attached to the octave key. and the octave key also seems to have a lack of "springiness" to it... But, you know... other than that it sounds great, and me, and my wallet are extremely happy right now. :) :) :) :)

#13 ·
Yes...don't mess with the octave mech anymore.

When you bring it to a tech, rather than asking "what does it need ?"...which opens a Pandora's box...just tell him/her that besides the octave key repair, you have $XXX to put into it right now. So, can he/she get it playing better for that amount of $ ? Mybe address some of the top priorities the horn needs.

BTW...a 615 deserves a decent mouthpiece. The keywork may be a bit clunky, but those horns will roar like a beast if you slap something good on 'em....

#14 ·
Bending is not good! I would think the cork on the body lever is gone or just some other octave changeover points. Once set, these will hold for a long time but getting them just right is not all that easy. I would guess a $50 job and make sure the tech is versed in vintage. A lot of guys are molded into the modern horn bump and bend type of school work.

#15 · (Edited)
I've got a Rico Metalite on it now, but if you think it would be worth slapping something good on it i'll probably look into what I can afford. I got the King 615 used for like $450 (I think) it's got a few dents here and there, but other than that it's in fairly good shape. I only really use it for practicing, jamming, But later this year i'll probably be bumped up to lead tenor in the junior jazz band i'm in (not school band) so i'd like a piece that wouldn't be too expensive, yet still allows a nice soloing sound if you have any suggestions. :) thanks.

And I don't really have too much choice in instrument repair shops. I live in Hamilton, Ontairo (Canada) and the only really big music store is Long&Mcquade that's about 30-40 min's away, so i'll have to shoot them an email seeing what a rough estimate would be on it without seeing it, then bug a parent to take me out and get them to look/take it in (depends on the price though)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.