Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
looks like non original laq, so I wouldnt pay more than 3000 unless it was a good player. I could very well be wrong about laq so ask someone who really knows. Is it a euro horn?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like non original laq, so I wouldnt pay more than 3000 unless it was a good player. I could very well be wrong about laq so ask someone who really knows. Is it a euro horn?
I thought it looked like a relacquer too.
I think the both of you got that conclusion from the picture where is possible to see the Selmer logo.
Well, the engraving is not that deep there becouse it have to had been rubbed constantly against some surface.
My technician and some other Sax freaks in the area affirm it is original lacquer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
I think the both of you got that conclusion from the picture where is possible to see the Selmer logo.
Partly, but mostly because of the colour, and also the way it has become discoloured. Very difficult to tell from photos though. Either way it's not a top dollar horn, but why worry if it plays well?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Well, the engraving is not that deep there becouse it have to had been rubbed constantly against some surface.
My technician and some other Sax freaks in the area affirm it is original lacquer.
I just responded to a thread about the stamp on Selmer Paris horns.

I bought a Serie II brand new in 2004 and part of the word " Super " is barely visible because the stamp is uneven and faded.

I've concluded the " experts " don't know what they're talking about making a determination from a stamp. Ridiculous.

And I'm not talking about the guys that said " I'm not sure".

I'm talking about the ones that go tire kicking and have no interest in the horn and dub it a re lacquer.

I wonder how many thousands of dollars have been loss because "they" have pontificated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just responded to a thread about the stamp on Selmer Paris horns.

I bought a Serie II brand new in 2004 and part of the word " Super " is barely visible because the stamp is uneven and faded.

I've concluded the " experts " don't know what they're talking about making a determination from a stamp. Ridiculous.

And I'm not talking about the guys that said " I'm not sure".

I'm talking about the ones that go tire kicking and have no interest in the horn and dub it a re lacquer.

I wonder how many thousands of dollars have been loss because "they" have pontificated.
I've seen some Selmer horns where the label wasn't completely visible, mostly MKVIIs and Super Action 80s.
It's almost always difficult to say if a horn is a original lacquer or not just from pictures.At least in my own experience, all the horns i've owned have seem different ones from picture to picture depending on light conditions and camera set up.
Anyhow, under my personal point of view a forum is a place where people trade knowledgement and/or opinions and all them are perfectly respectable.I don't find anything bad in someone that stays away of a horn just because is not an original lacquer one.Fact or fantasy?...the players self-sugestion seems to doesn't know limits.
Also, what i find really way too sad is how collectors prices determines also the possibilities for a real musician to get a nice horn.
There's too much speculation 'round marketplace and that's really a pity.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
On the other hand, when you know the provenance of the horn, you know if it has been re-lacquered. With eBay, horns are just flipped around, or sometimes sold by family members that never paid any attention to things like that. When you buy any high dollar item, you have the right to ask the seller about its history. If they don't know, they shouldn't make up stories. Even used cars have Car fax now.
I think it is easy to tell by good pictures if it is original lacquer, unless it is an old "factory" re-lacquer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the other hand, when you know the provenance of the horn, you know if it has been re-lacquered.
Not just about the relacquering thing but; What about horns (a lot out there) that are not 2nd but 30th hand?...Sometimes it's not that easy to trace a horn's history, it's ok for the work done (resoldering, relac, dings, dents...etc) but for the rest...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts