Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen this video a couple of times over the years, I thought you guys would've seen it by now, but I'll share it with you guys in case.
I just listened to the video again, and now I'm hearing so many things I haven't heard before over the years, the guy is pretty great for his age!

·
Registered
41 Posts
GOOD QUESTION mr. PIG !!!! id really like to know!

what I find frightening is the lack of seriousness that people show towards tuning these days.... i thought it was mainly with jazzers... but this whole orchestra sounds like crap..

when he's tuning ...our soloist is OBVIOUSLY flat...and he OBVIOUSLY lips it up...... are you kidding me???? the whole performance suffers subsequently from the tuning

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I give the kid props to get up in front of an orchestra as a soloist and he has a decent tone for where he is. That being said, his tuning is really off in many places and his when he gets to faster parts, his tone is not as refined.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this a typical legit tenor sax tone?
Typical? No, but its an okay tone for legit tenor, some people would say that James Houlik's tone isn't the typical legit,
as most people would use small chambered, somewhat closed tip, hard reeds and get a tone with no buzz or edge. (The typical S-80 C* set up)
It all depends on the school, style, person, etc.
I didn't like the recording, as there were a lot of squeaks, tuning issues, slower tempo, and lack of altissimos, but a good recording for a high school kid, as there are a lot of terrible recordings from high school tenor sax players who often distort a solo to the extreme that it isn't recognizable.
But this one is okay, I'm talking about tonewise mostly.

Yeah, but that's the link that I forgot to post.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Could someone with time on their hands post a few quality videos of different legit tone concepts?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Could someone with time on their hands post a few quality videos of different legit tone concepts?
It's the same as an alto legit tone, only a P4 lower.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
what I find frightening is the lack of seriousness that people show towards tuning these days.... i thought it was mainly with jazzers... but this whole orchestra sounds like crap..
It's a community orchestra run through the local junior college. They rehearse once a week so take it for what it's worth.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
He plays very well for his age. But in Central New York there are a few kids at this level every year. Some end up at Eastman, Miami, or Michigan. A few stay close and study with Dr. Caravan at Syracuse University. We had one recently who went to the Brubeck Institute. I must admit - upstate NY is cranking out saxophone players.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
GOOD QUESTION mr. PIG !!!! id really like to know!

when he's tuning ...our soloist is OBVIOUSLY flat...and he OBVIOUSLY lips it up...... are you kidding me???? the whole performance suffers subsequently from the tuning
it's funny i thought it was just me who notice that..i even thought i was wrong, no one mentioned that on youtube... is sound is not very good, but maybe he is not a tenor player so that is not the major concern... i can't agree with what you said about jazzers regarding to intonation... i do think good jazzers have better intonation than classical, and day by day i feel more this.. i started on classical and still hear many classical friends playing and notice that..

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
Give the guy credit for at least trying and not out gang banging or robbing the local corner grocery store. If we had more young people engaged in music, we would be a better society overall. I saw enough of the other type in my 22 years as a cop.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Give the guy credit for at least trying and not out gang banging or robbing the local corner grocery store. If we had more young people engaged in music, we would be a better society overall. I saw enough of the other type in my 22 years as a cop.
No comment on the young man in the video, but those are some pretty low standards to set for young musicians there mate. "just don't be a criminal a**ehole and you'll go far with that sax son." (tongue in cheek :) I know what you meant)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Too bad he didn't or couldn't take the altissimo. It's kind of misses a climax without it.

Other than that, it was a quite acceptable performance. Kind of hard to judge the sound. At first I thought he was praying during the rests, then I realized he was counting measures!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts