Sax on the Web Forum banner

16M -USA made

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lkylady 
#1 ·
Hi y'all. I own a 16M "Shooting Star" tenor, not the Nogales version though, this one was made in the USA. I am very confused about the serial number though, trying to figure out the date it was made. Serial is either:
L628I0 or
L6281/20 it really looks to me like the character after the 8 is a fraction (1/2) but this wouldn't make sense now, does it....?
Can anyone out there shine some light for me....?

Gracias...

#3 ·
Hi Lkylady,

With a manufacture date of 1968, it most definitely IS a Nogales, AZ made horn (at the Best Manufacturing plant that Conn purchased for student horn production). Conn started making their student lines at the Nogales facility in 1959/1960.

Mexican manufactured so called "Mexi-Conn" horns are marked Mexico, and generally date closer to 1970.

Although the later 60's vintage ARTIST series pro horns (i.e. 6M/10M etc.) are very good players and good value for money (production of these pro horns remained at the Elkhart, IN plant for the entirety of production), most will concur that the later you get in date with the student Director "Shooting Star" models (14M/16M), the less one can say about them that is favorable, culminating in the horrible Mexi-Conns.

#4 ·
Am I the only one to stick up for the poor Mexi-Conn? One of my adult students bought a 1968 L serial (Made in USA stamp) tenor but before this, I bought an N serial (Made in Mexico stamp) tenor and it's in great condition and playability. But it looks slightly different to all the other Mexi-Conns I've seen pics of...

#5 ·
Thanks y'all. I bought this sax in Mexico 8 years ago from a then 68 year old musician who had played with several famous jazz trios in Mexico and the USA. This man taught me all I know about music, so the sax holds sentimental value. I need to have it repaired badly but I do not want to overspend the value of the sax itself.

Gracias...!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.