Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Bob Ackerman has a few 10m for sale with a 16m neck on for sale. A demonstration is on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plmgzNaeEuU
I dont know if the main reason for this is that he think it plays better or if it is to replace a lost/broken original one, but he claims that it for some players plays better.

I believe the 16m is the official name for the "shooting star" intermediate Conn. Right? Does anyone know if these has the same angle as the 10m neck or if they are more like other modern horns? The video looks to me like it is angled as the original 10m.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,385 Posts
Same neck, different bellbrace and octave key. Bore and taper are identical, or so nearly damn close the diff becomes neglibible. They fit a 10M perfectly, and a 10M neck fits a 16M perfectly (should anyone have that inclination.....)

They intone fine and sound the same, to me, IMHO.

He should be giving a slight price break on that horn, maybe $100 less than w/ an original neck, since the original neck is gone....but....as far as performance goes, the 10M would lose nothing (not so sure I believe it gains anything)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
The reason I´m asking is not really that I want to buy any of his horn (at least not at the moment) but I have a 30m, which is great, but I am not comfortable with the neck angle. I dont want to change anything on the original horn, but thought that a 16m neck maybe is possible to find at a reasonable price. Seems like I would have to have it tweaked though, if I want a more modern angle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
It's either that (get a 16m neck and have it filled with lead or cerrobend and modifying the angle) or get in touch with a neck maker like Gloger, Bösken, etc. and have them making you a neck to your specs. It's a wise thing to do not to modify the original neck, that said, I do so on my horns (doctoring up the bend angle, especially the angle in wich the MPC end bends up again after the big curve. Most older horns have an angle that leaves your mpc pointing sort of downwards and I hate that, I prefer a graceful curvature like older selmer tenors.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,120 Posts
The other difference is that the 16M neck has an older style octave pip - IIRC, the shallow cone shape rather than the shot glass shape used on the 10M. But if it doesn't affect tuning or the "hiss" on and around A2, no problem.

·
18,385 Posts
Good point, Paul. It does indeed have a different pip. But I haven't noticed hissing or anything 'off' because of it....

·
18,385 Posts
It's either that (get a 16m neck and have it filled with lead or cerrobend and modifying the angle)....
I was wondering about the method for doing that...because everything I could come up with would have caused the neck tube to kink someplace. That's a good solution !!!!

So youy melt cerrobend or cerrolow & fill the neck with it , then bend the tube, then reheat to get all of the cerro to come out ? This keeps the tube from kinking ?

Does any ever stick to the inside of the neck tube ? Or does it flow out easily ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts