Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 1000th post, I want to wish you all a Happy 151st Canada Day! It was two years ago today that I was invited to play my first show since high school for a big celebration in Quebec (yes, some parts of la belle province do celebrate July 1st--though in Montreal, it’s known as Moving Day). I bought a Mauriat Le Bravo alto for that show, and played just terribly, but it did rekindle my interest in the sax. It was also what led me to discover SOTW, which has afforded me endless insights and countless hours of entertainment. I’m still no good, but 1000 posts, 5 “new” vintage horns, and a couple dozen mouthpieces later, I’ve now played several gigs and some open mikes, and can’t ever imagine giving up the sax again. My addiction is so bad, I structure vacations around the possibility of blowing a horn, however briefly, in foreign music shops. Heck, I’m even planning to study sax repair in my eventual retirement. So to all my SOTW friends in Canada and elsewhere, thanks for the knowledge and community, and Happy Birthday!!!!!!! And now it’s time for a cold drink: you may think we’re a cold nation here, but right now, it’s 46C (115F) on the humidex (a Canadian invention, btw.) - Zoot

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ps. anyone else having trouble posting comments with line breaks?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Congrats on 1000 and happy Canada Day. Thinking of moving there more and more.

No problem with line breaks for me.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, they sometimes work, sometimes don't. It's only been a problem the past few days.

And you're very welcome to move up here, nvilletele. I'll even buy you a welcome beer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
congrats also from me. My two cents is that the 450 I spent on 10 Skype lessons has given me far more benefit than the 450 dollar 'dream " mouthpiece that I bought. Good luck keep learning K

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 450 I spent on 10 Skype lessons has given me far more benefit than the 450 dollar 'dream " mouthpiece that I bought.
Thanks Keith, I do intend to take lessons before too long. Rest assured that the horns and pieces I've acquired were mostly for the sheer fun of collecting and trying out different setups, and not in pursuit of a quick fix to musical genius. That said, some of my horns and pieces make it easier to achieve my sound concept at any given time than others.

·
Banned
566 Posts
fantastic zootthesim.
i remember also,chasing gigs and working the whole life around blowing horn and making music with fellow musicians.lovely life.enjoy it all!
also for the future of saxophone repair!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also for the future of saxophone repair!
Thanks dream, but don't get your hopes up: I literally have three left thumbs. It'll be a miracle if I manage not to set the horn on fire while changing a pad. Still, if I can save a few old neglected Elkhorns or Kohlerts that the pros won't touch, all the better.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congrats Zoot and happy Canada day. Just returned celebrating with a few friends at a resort north of Toronto.
I'm a newbe and been practising almost very day for the past 4 years. Hope to play with a band soon.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Happy Birthday, Canada! And congratulations, Zoot!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thought you were proposing new marketplace posting requirements 🤣
:lol: Good one swperry1! Thanks everyone for the good wishes. I celebrated by listening to my compatriot Linsey Wellman's Ephemeral etudes for solo sax, a great way to meditate the passage of time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts