Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been adressed but I'm in a kind of a rush :doubt:
I have an opportunity on a nice looking 12M... problem is the serial n° (H29xxx) makes it a 1965 Mexiconn. On the other hand I have an 800xxx 12M that suffered a lot but has been doctored back to playing ability. The Mex is about $2000 and the older banged 12M is about $2700;
I would greatly appreciate any comments on playability and drawbacks of the Mex, I have to choose which I'm going to playtest next saturday, and I can't do both (too much driving involved...)
I currently play a B991 Yana, but I long to find a bary with the kind of sound I get from My 10M tenor or TH'n'C alto:mrgreen:
C'mon guys, give me a hand:lick:

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
984 Posts
is the H horn stamped 12m and elkart on the bell? i believe the 12m/10m's stayed in elkart till the end. for that much money i think the later 12m shoudl be pristine, randy jones has one in that range on his site i think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
I think the 12M stopped in 1969 with the last Artist model production at Elkhart. The low Bb bari made at Nogales was called 14M, and the low A 11M gave way to the 13M.

(Model number 14M meant bass in the 20s and 30s, and alto in the 50s and 60s! Huh...)

The 12M was in production with only minor changes from 1929-'69. That is 40 years, a record for any saxophone. Testimony to a great design.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the H horn stamped 12m and elkart on the bell? i believe the 12m/10m's stayed in elkart till the end. for that much money i think the later 12m shoudl be pristine, randy jones has one in that range on his site i think.
It looks pristine on the pictures, and the price is "acceptable" on the French side of the pond... I already have a "late" 10M made in Elkhart but I wasn't quite sure about the 12M bary having been built in Indiana all the time. Any additionnal info welcome ;-)

·
Banned
184 Posts
The "H" prefix dates it as a 1966 horn. It's not a Mexiconn. It should be the same quality as your late 10M. If I'm not mistaken, production of the artist series horns stayed in Elkhart. You'll know for sure if you see "Elkhart, Indiana" on the bell. If I'm wrong, don't hold me responsible for gas money.

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
It is indeed an Elkhart built horn, as were all of Conn's professional grade saxophones. Some Nogales built 12Ms have surfaced, but these were assembled from left over inventory of parts AFTER the Elkhart facility closed c. 1970.

Otherwise the ex Best Manufacturing plant in Nogales, AZ was used solely for the production of Conn's student line of saxophones.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all, guys... Next step will be to plug my favoured STM on the beast and wait for THE shock :)
I'll keep you posted, but if it works as it did with my 10 M, I have found my bary, at long last...

·
Registered
932 Posts
As odd as it may seem, if this horn falls through, you might be able to get an Elkhart made 11m for a veritable song, even in France. While they lack some of the oomph of the early to mid run 12m horns, the 11m does, at least with my limited play testing of other horns, blow the late model 12m horns away.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
The scuttlebutt on the 11M is that the low A can't be made to play in tune, or with good response, because the tube section added to the bell is cylindrical.

Lee Patrick at Transylvania U played an 11M, but he had the A keycup removed entirely.

My remembrance of the late model 12M - mine was from 1967 - is that it was a fine playing horn, but easy to damage, because the metal was so darn soft compared to older Conns. (Maybe I shouldn't have carried it on public transit in a soft gig bag...)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that any horn in a soft bag requires a minimum of attention... none of my horns travels in a soft bag. The only gig bag I have is a leather Reunion Blues and this because my TH'C alto doesn't fit in modern hard cases ;)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well... she looks a bit like me : scars and evidence of rough living. But she does play once you tame the beast. Maybe a little light check on B and Bb, to make them easier on the fingers. But I really like this horn. Requires more air, but puts it to good use... can't waait to gig her soon, rehearsal on Friday and I'll see what happens when the group hear her. Just one slight problem : where can I find a modern case to protect it a little better than the original one ? Protec PB 331Ct seems to accomodate both low Bb and low A baris ? Europe doesn't seem to be a good place to find a case for a low Bb these days...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.