Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those familiar with the "original" Real Book - i know there are several "original" ones anyway - know that there are many odd tunes, and some odd crediting in it. But nothing as strange as the tune "12-4 2-4 / Duplicities", credited to "Jack Stock" who nobody knows who it is, and the tune has never been recorded - at least not before the books were widely spead.

So has there ever been any clarity as to who actually wrote it, and how did it end up in the Real Book? Some sort of prank by one of the editors?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
My Berklee Fake Book that I bought in '74 or so credits Jack Stock too. I've never heard the recorded tune.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Jack Stock was a teacher at Berklee in the early 70s, which would be consistent with the legend that the Real Book was created by students at Berklee.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that's really something. Looks like you may have cleared up the mystery! A web search reveals a number of musicians who studied composition and arranging under him, but nothing about the man himself. Are there any more known compositions by him, were any of them recorded at the time?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts