Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"10mfan the Classic generation 2 ultem"
Hello crew!!
I would love to share my experience with this puppy for those interested.
A bit of a backgoung, I have experience with the Robusto and classic 1st generation HR.
To be honest the 1st generation was good but it wasn't my comfort zone. The facing curve was a bit too long for me
so I had to go with harder reeds or bigger tip openings. The lack of resistance was giving a weird feel while playing
really soft. All that was giving me the feeling of a weird unwanted brightness in the tone. Never had a problem with volume, reed pickiness and intonation though. PLease keep in mind this is my experience. It could be different for someone else.
Well just today in the morning I received my mouthpiece. I just want to say that this thing is a beast. It's a 7**, so no need to go crazy with the tip opening.
I tried on it Rigotti 3 Light, 3 1/2 light, La voz medium, Daddario select jazz 3s, Gonzales 3 local jazz and it doesn't get dull, or overly bright with anything.
I tried taking less and more mouthpiece in and it just feels right, it just gets different colors. No buzzy feedback anywhere at any volume. Those who didn't click
with the first generation because of it know what I am talking about. That healthy amount of resistance is right there now. Finally!!!
Those who liked the tone of any 1st gen 10mfan piece but didn't like the feel, response or feedback, please try these.
Now the ultem material. Well it does look cool but that's not the most important part. Isn't it? It feels to me a bit darker than the actual HR but I I am comparing different generations. Let's just say I don't want a darker feedback than that. I don't feel any parasite noise as a feedback. This could be the "new wonder" material. It's stronger than HR, won't suffer discoloration, it't cheaper and it looks nice as well. It's a no brainier!!! I have been a HR player for a while and after 15 mins playing this piece I forgot it was there. That's how neutral that material feels. Well anyway for those still sceptical, these pieces are made in HR as well.
Important for those who have played the 1st gen and want to change. YOU DON'T NEED A HUGE TIP OPENING HERE OR A CRAZY REED LIKE GENERATION 1. Just go for your normal comfort zone.
I hope it helps a bit more those interested and please feel free to ask if you need pics, or any sound sample. I only have a phone, so don't expect quality of sound.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just one last thing. Ultem feels heavier to me than HR. I can't confirm that since I am comparing two different Generations of hand finished pieces. To be fair "to me"HR feels lightweight in comparison. It's difficult for me to explain. Maybe that's why there's no white noise feedback from this material and from HR, opposite to other "plastic" compounds.

·
Premium Member
15,495 Posts
Thank you so much for the great feedback!
The white noise you heard from the first generation pieces, was because of how they were finished.
It’s not the different materials.

The generation one pieces had very thin side rails and tip rails and longer facing curves.
Once we made the changes to the Generation ll pieces with my new craftsman, all of that stuff went away. Now if you play one of my new hard rubber pieces and your orange Ultem piece, you will find that they play just like each other.
The first generations had a bit of a buzz to them that some people enjoyed, but other players didn’t. I did get a lot of complaints from people about that, so I listened to the feedback, and we made the changes necessary for more players to really enjoy these pieces than before. You do not need heavier reeds with my pieces now. They are very comfortable to play and incredibly responsive.
I really could not be happier with how the pieces are playing. The feedback has been ridiculous from players all over the world.
Thank you so much for recommending your friends to buy these Gen ll pieces. I hope they are enjoying them as much as you!

All the best, Mark

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh! Yeah! I think this puppy is going to become my main piece. 😄😄😃😄

1 - 4 of 4 Posts