Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't be happier with my brand new 10mfan "The Classic' Mouthpiece in Ultem. Mark really hit the nail on the head with his description of this piece and delivered exactly what I was expecting. This is the first experience I have had with a mouthpiece that I feel I can just play my horn and focus on the music in front of me 100% . I finally have gotten "the gear out of the way" and am able to just make music!!! I have been playing for a long time and by no means am not a professional player, more of a hobbiest, but saxophone has been my passion for around 30 years and playing my horn is my happy place. This thing plays effortlessly, its intonation is absolutely wonderful from top to bottom, and the low notes are sooooo lush, rich and full. Mark was very quick to answer all my questions and shipping was super fast too. I'am full of praises for Mark and this mouthpiece. Just Amazing!
If you are searching for a mouthpiece and really like that warm, velvet-like, buttery smooth tenor sound; you've got to give this one a try.

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
124 Posts
I have been considering one of these. What horn do you play?

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Thank you so much for the review!
I’m so happy that you and everyone else are going crazy for these pieces.
The Generation ll updates we made make everything play so incredibly well. The pieces are finished the same way in the German bar stock hard rubber and Ultem. They are as good as they can possibly be.

The feedback has been incredible and I’m just so glad that I listened to what the customers wanted.
We cannot make these orange Ultem pieces quick enough. The combination between the designs along with the Ultem, and the $299 price tag, have put these pieces over the top.
I am SUPER grateful that players are having such fun with them.

Thank you again for a beautiful review and I encourage anyone who’s gotten the Generation ll pieces in Ultem or hard rubber, to put their review and/or audios or videos up.

All the best, Mark

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my brand new 10mfan "The Classic' Mouthpiece in Ultem. Mark really hit the nail on the head with his description of this piece and delivered exactly what I was expecting. This is the first experience I have had with a mouthpiece that I feel I can just play my horn and focus on the music in front of me 100% . I finally have gotten "the gear out of the way" and am able to just make music!!! I have been playing for a long time and by no means am not a professional player, more of a hobbiest, but saxophone has been my passion for around 30 years and playing my horn is my happy place. This thing plays effortlessly, its intonation is absolutely wonderful from top to bottom, and the low notes are sooooo lush, rich and full. Mark was very quick to answer all my questions and shipping was super fast too. I'am full of praises for Mark and this mouthpiece. Just Amazing!
If you are searching for a mouthpiece and really like that warm, velvet-like, buttery smooth tenor sound; you've got to give this one a try.
I concur. I am honestly floored how much I love the ultem material. The Classic is smooth, warm, and rich. I love that it doesn't get stuffy in the extreme ranges of the horn...the big surprise for me is how great the altissimo is on a lower baffle piece. The Daddy-O in ultem is my go-to alto mouthpiece as well. As somone who played all the first generation pieces, I can say the 2nd Gen changes were all superb...that consistency, both in tone and intonation, is effortless.

What reeds do you use on the Classic? I personally use Legere Signatures but I am also testing the new Boston Sax Shop reeds soon.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive been using Rigotti Gold 2 1/2H which respond very good but tend to brighten up the piece, Ive also tried Vandoren Java reds in a 3, they are a bit warmer with more resistence, I like them both for different reasons but am looking forward to trying other reeds out also. I think I might try Rico Royals and Plasticovers. I like the sound Plasticovers give me on my alto.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Rigottis were my go-to on tenor for a while. I like them a lot and they work really well if you want to brighten up your sound. For me they are probably the brightest reed.

On alto I have the Legere Sigs which work fine but I dont like them as much as the tenors. I enjoy the D'Addario jazz select reeds on alto, they have been working well, and Java Reds.

Haven't tried a plasticover in years and years. Wasnt too into them when I did try them. I love the Vandoren ZZ reeds on alto but they die so fast.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
124 Posts
vintage 1949 Buescher Big B, and "Super" Pan American as my backup horn
Vintage style piece for vintage horns. Sweetness

I would be trying it on an early Yamaha YTS-21.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Hi, I use my mouthpieces on both vintage and modern horns and they work beautifully. No issues whatsoever.
I have a used YTS-23 that I’m selling for a friend here, and the pieces sound great on it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi, I use my mouthpieces on both vintage and modern horns and they work beautifully. No issues whatsoever.
I have a used YTS-23 that I’m selling for a friend here, and the pieces sound great on it.
Thanks for the response. Time to save up!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Whenever you are ready, just let me know.
We can make you a piece anytime.
Mark, is there any place we can find a summary of the differences between Gen I and Gen II of your pieces?

I really like my Gen I Classic, but I'm kind of curious what changed for Gen II and why. And I'm curious about differences between the Gen I and Gen II Black Widow, and Robustos as well. I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere …

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Hi,
I have talked about it a ton, and you can read about it on my website on the front page.
It’s in the top post there, and all of the changes were made to ALL of my models. For me, EVERY single model plays better than ever. They are at their peak. We’ve made adjustments to the tip rails, side rails, facing curves, extra work under-cutting the tables, and more work done by my craftsman to optimize the experience.
All of the models play smoother with more warmth and the right amount of resistance, and they all feel so dialed in. The balance of frequencies is what makes all the pieces greater than ever. Such a beautiful combination between the lows, mids, and highs. A far better mix than before. As a player, I like every single one of my models more now.
Will someone else prefer the generation one pieces to the new ones, of course they will! That’s how it has to be.
I loved them when Eric did the work on them, but frankly, they just play better now for me. WITHOUT ANY HESITATION, I can say that.
All of the hr generation ll pieces have gold paint and USA engraved on the side.
So far, everyone who has played my generation l and generation ll pieces, has told me they love the updated generation ll pieces.
Overwhelmingly, this has been an incredible success story with the updates we made. As a player, I much prefer the way they play now....and I loved them before!—-so that says a lot.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I had tried the first generation pieces in my local store, and although I thought the pieces I tried were ok (Robusto and Classic), they weren't quite what I was looking for. I had a mpc faced by Eric Falcon prior as well, and I wasn't crazy about how his facing felt/sounded. (For me, it was a little harsh). Anyhow, I really like the Gen II pieces; I bought the Showtime 7** tenor after I play tested it locally here. More dialed in is a great way to describe the facings, just felt and sounded like what I had been looking for. I've had the same experience with the alto pieces, bought a Daddy 0 6 Gen II and now a Showboat 7 and really pleased with both of those. Everyone is different, but I would give the Gen II pieces a shot if you are curious...

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Thank you very much. Very dialed in is definitely how I describe them. They are balanced so beautifully. Eric preferred pieces that had more highs in the sound with more punch, and I liked that too, but the facings were too long for many. After listening to all of the customer feedback that came my way, the changes were made to make the pieces play like many had asked. The nice thing is, the pieces have all the power and punch available but they are balanced far better. Everyone seems to be just loving them now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like many sax players I have quite a collection of mouthpieces, but for the past 20 years I have been exclusive in using a trio of custom pieces from the same maker on tenor, alto and soprano.

That changed around 2 years ago when I got a 10MFan tenor piece, and again last year when I got one of the new 10MFan pieces for alto. Those 10MFan pieces have now replaced my custom pieces on alto and tenor – and I’m now hoping that a 10MFan soprano model is coming soon.

You can find a youtube video where a reviewer describes a ‘quintessential 10Mfan mouthpiece’ as being quick and responsive, with a big broad sound and lots of overtones. I’d go along with that description, and I’d add that I have found them very comfortable to play. This has helped me to relax more, with real benefits in my overall playing.

As a side-note, I will keep those older custom pieces – they are still excellent, well-made items – I just don’t see myself moving away from 10MFan pieces right now.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Those are very good warm reeds. I used to use them, but I found that they didn’t last very long for me. They were very good while they lasted though. I haven’t tried them in a long time, so I wonder if they are any different now.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Like many sax players I have quite a collection of mouthpieces, but for the past 20 years I have been exclusive in using a trio of custom pieces from the same maker on tenor, alto and soprano.

That changed around 2 years ago when I got a 10MFan tenor piece, and again last year when I got one of the new 10MFan pieces for alto. Those 10MFan pieces have now replaced my custom pieces on alto and tenor – and I’m now hoping that a 10MFan soprano model is coming soon.

You can find a youtube video where a reviewer describes a ‘quintessential 10Mfan mouthpiece’ as being quick and responsive, with a big broad sound and lots of overtones. I’d go along with that description, and I’d add that I have found them very comfortable to play. This has helped me to relax more, with real benefits in my overall playing.

As a side-note, I will keep those older custom pieces – they are still excellent, well-made items – I just don’t see myself moving away from 10MFan pieces right now.

Hi Steve,
Thank you very much for your kind words. I’m so glad you are so happy with the different models. I really appreciate your review and if you ever do a recording, let me know.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I was going to write a post about my new the Classic Ultem 7* piece, which would just sound like yours, AaronbigB. So I will be lazy and quote your post, because it is exactly my experience with this piece too. The most important thing is that I finally got "the gear out of the way" too. It is 100% music now! Thanks so much Mark!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts