Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I’ve been enjoying playing the new Showtime on tenor, thought a good challenge would be to record one of these duets from a Dan Higgins duet book I’ve had for a long time:

https://youtu.be/kIR9QZqlDbQ

Cheers,

Ving

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Bro,
That sounded fantastic! I’d love to put it up on my website if it’s OK with you.
Beautiful rich and even tone top to bottom.
I love this. It has that Mulligan/Desmond “Two of a mind” counterpoint vibe going on.
That other guy sounds just like you. :)

Outstanding playing!

·
Registered
166 Posts
And again great sounding performance on a very convincing mouthpiece!
Is it available somewhere a comparison between 10mfan Classic and Showtime II (but I mean comparing the recording of the same song under the same conditions and catching the differences "for the ear")? Does anyone know source/ link, please and thanks in advance.
Yes, I read accurate reviews on the neffmusic blog listened to music recordings there, I know descriptions from 10mfan pages, a lot of youtube recordings, but I didn't find a direct comparison.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Thank you very much.

2 different types of players for those 2 models.
The Classic guys want the warmth throughout and a very even sound with more resistance than the Showtime guys want. The Showtime has a real freedom in the blow along with a much bigger, more open sound with more punch available. Clay can make the Showtime beautiful and warm, but he can let loose a lot more on it than he could with The Classic. The Showtime model sits between the Robusto and Black Widow, and the warmest model is The Classic.
I’ll get an audio or video of one guy playing the different models on my Gen ll pieces.
I actually know of a video being made this week by a friend of mine in the U.K.
He’ll be playing 3 pieces: the Gen ll Classic, Robusto, and Showtime. Hopefully he’ll have that for me in the next couple weeks.

All the best, Mark

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for checking that out! Couple of thoughts; for me, I like the Showtime as it’s really freeblowing and friendly to play and has the extra power or oomph I like in a piece without feeling like there’s a restrictive baffle design or being too bright. I actually wondered when I first played the Showtime if it was too dark for me, as my horn tends to need a little brighter mpc to dial it in. Anyhow, I find it very flexible and particularly great with reeds. In fact, the reed I used on this clip was an old zz I had laying around from who knows when, and it had been parked on the mpc for the last couple of weeks. Bad habit, I know but kind of a testament to how easy these mpcs are to get reeds working for them! That’s huge for me!

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
Ving,
You sound fantastic. The bright and dark thing is always subjective because everybody’s coming from a different place. I’m so glad you are enjoying the mouthpiece and you definitely sound fantastic on it.
It really enjoyed this audio a ton.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts