Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of these mouthpieces are acclaimed all-rounders with similar characteristics, so my question to you is simply which one YOU prefer, and if you've compared it with some of the other pieces in any way.

NOTE: Regarding the Morgan MLL, both the 'Jazz' and 'Excalibur' versions counts, and that's also the case with the House Blend where the versions include the "pre-II" original model, HB II, and now reintroduced "post-II" HB I.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,309 Posts
These comparisons are always goofy at best.

Whose better???---Klum vs Drake, Wanne vs Jody Jazz, 10mfan vs Navarro, Morgan vs Mouthpieceguys, RPC vs Lamberson, Selmer vs King, Conn vs Martin, Mercedes vs BMW, Coke vs Pepsi, Callaway vs Taylormade, iPhone vs Samsung, etc, etc....

It's really goofy because....

HERE IT COMES....

WAIT FOR IT....

WAIT FOR IT...................

THE MAGICAL ANSWER IS:

NO ONE is "better"...we are all just different. One person will find one mpc "better" for themselves, and another will like the other one, or the other, or another one more. It comes down to personal preference.

We as individuals will each find the "best" one for ourselves, but "best" is NOT universal.

THE OBJECTIVE IS TO FIND WHATS "BEST" FOR YOU----and that can only be done by trying out all of these for yourself.

"Better" is based on the players opinion, which is affected by the players abilities, the horn being used, the reeds, the neck, the lig, personal sound preference, etc, etc.... Loads of variables from one guy to the next.
I have played all the pieces mentioned above and I love the Robusto best, because I designed it to do for ME, what the other hard rubbers couldn't.
But remember---others will dig it, and others won't...

Its not universally "best", because its COMPLETELY subjective from one player to the other.

Because of the business I am in...I have been fortunate to have owned many wonderful RPC's, House Blends, and Morgans.

I do hope you get to check out my mouthpieces and I wish you happy travels on your journey to find the "best" set-up for yourself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,540 Posts
Trials help but it costs a lot to have them all at once.
I recently started offering trials. Most folks do. I just found it difficult to ask the price of a good mpc On blind faith or reputation.

That being said, best of luck finding what is right for you. I find Rons pieces different from Morgan's. Rons pieces have a little more good resistance. I find it helps to shape tone and maintain core. Morgan pieces are pretty bright. They are super free blowing to the point I don't love them...some do.

That's my 2 cents and worth about that lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
These comparisons are always goofy at best.

Whose better???---Klum vs Drake, Wanne vs Jody Jazz, 10mfan vs Navarro, Morgan vs Mouthpieceguys, RPC vs Lamberson, Selmer vs King, Conn vs Martin, Mercedes vs BMW, Coke vs Pepsi, Callaway vs Taylormade, iPhone vs Samsung, etc, etc....

It's really goofy because....

HERE IT COMES....

WAIT FOR IT....

WAIT FOR IT...................

THE MAGICAL ANSWER IS:

NO ONE is "better"...we are all just different. One person will find one mpc "better" for themselves, and another will like the other one, or the other, or another one more. It comes down to personal preference.

We as individuals will each find the "best" one for ourselves, but "best" is NOT universal.

THE OBJECTIVE IS TO FIND WHATS "BEST" FOR YOU----and that can only be done by trying out all of these for yourself.

"Better" is based on the players opinion, which is affected by the players abilities, the horn being used, the reeds, the neck, the lig, personal sound preference, etc, etc.... Loads of variables from one guy to the next.
I have played all the pieces mentioned above and I love the Robusto best, because I designed it to do for ME, what the other hard rubbers couldn't.
But remember---others will dig it, and others won't...

Its not universally "best", because its COMPLETELY subjective from one player to the other.

Because of the business I am in...I have been fortunate to have owned many wonderful RPC's, House Blends, and Morgans.

I do hope you get to check out my mouthpieces and I wish you happy travels on your journey to find the "best" set-up for yourself.
Yes, and the whole point with this thread was also NOT TO GIVE A UNIVERSAL OBJECTIVE ANSWER as I said "which one YOU prefer". I thought I was clear enough about that this was about the player's own perspective, and that I wanted to hear different views by many different players. And yes, I'm always looking for the best setup FOR MYSELF, not a "one-setup-fits-all"-kind of thinking because I neither believe that kind of thinking works in the end.

With your full respect, I hope I didn't step on any sensitive toes, and I would absolutely LOVE to try your mouthpieces soon!

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
I have owned all of these pieces--some more than one--except for the cafe house blend. I am, however familiar with Brian Powell's work through a couple of refaced STMs. I love Ron's pieces, but found that they weren't as flexible for the different styles that I need. That said, I have a .135 rollover RPC that has a HUGE fat sound. It is, however exhausting to play for an entire gig. I love his high baffle pieces, and have a 115B that SCREAMS for rock music. I have a 110B baritone that is the best bari piece I've ever played. The morgan pieces that I've played (and I still have an old excalibur alto) are just too bright sounding for my taste. For me, the best of the lot you have given as examples is the 10mfan robusto. I played on a HR 9 one for a year, and could get just about any sound I wanted out of it. It's still my backup piece. However, the goldplated metal robusto is just the best and most versatile piece that I have ever played...and that's what I'll be sticking with.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,909 Posts
I've played all the models you mentioned, and while there are some fine models mentioned, the 10mfan Robusto is absolutely the best of the list for me.

I played on a Phil-Tone for a long time, but the Robusto offered so much more of everything I wanted. A much richer, more complex tone, better articulation, more versatility, more reed friendly, etc.

It's always best to try what you can, but the Robusto completely ended my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece. I can do everything from fluffy ballads to screamin' R&B with ease.

10mfan has a ton of amazing players on his website playing on his mouthpieces and offers more sound clips than everyone else combined.

Check them out; you won't be sorry. His Merlot and The Boss are also phenomenal. But for the versatility I need for my gigs, the Robusto covers all bases.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Yes, and the whole point with this thread was also NOT TO GIVE A UNIVERSAL OBJECTIVE ANSWER as I said "which one YOU prefer". I thought I was clear enough about that this was about the player's own perspective, and that I wanted to hear different views by many different players. And yes, I'm always looking for the best setup FOR MYSELF, not a "one-setup-fits-all"-kind of thinking because I neither believe that kind of thinking doesn't work in the end.

With your full respect, I hope I didn't step on any sensitive toes, and I would absolutely LOVE to try your mouthpieces soon!
KeyWood,

Sorry you have be lectured in bold, large font. I find it amazing that this conversation has to be had over and over again. Of course,....yes of course, we ALL KNOW about the "what works for you" premise. I think we can assume and subsume this basic concept, as mature adults posting on a forum of opinions.

I don't think you will find ANYONE who believes there is a "universal best". Yet this straw man argument gets marched out and around over and over. Apparently, even asking in terms of "what YOU prefer" isnt' enough. Puuuulease. There is nothing "goofy" about ones opinion, especially when solicited.

HF

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,693 Posts
Re: 10mfan Robusto HR vs. Mouthpiece Cafe House Blend vs. Morgan MLL vs. RPC rollover

All of these mouthpieces are acclaimed all-rounders with similar characteristics, so my question to you is simply which one YOU prefer, and if you've compared it with some of the other pieces in any way.
Of those, I prefer Ben Allen and Fred Lamberson mouthpieces. I've played all the ones you've listed, and owned several dozens more. FWIW, I still have a couple Morgan "C" chambers (6C), and a refaced Vandoren V-16. ALL of my mouthpieces come from people with whom I have built relationships, and I can ask for tweaks as necessary to dial in each mouthpiece. Such opportunities are not commonplace, so I treasure the chance when I find a mouthpiece maker that will iterate with me. Phil-Tone is another that will provide such a service (Phil made my sop 'piece).

I wish I had all the money back I've spent trying and buying mouthpieces. I think I need a twelve step program, I'm starting to get the urge again after reading this thread.
I've been fortunate there as I either buy used mouthpieces or get new mouthpieces from people that have a trial/guarantee program. Purchasing premium pricey pieces is the path to poverty.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To everybody here; if you play a 'piece that I haven't listed in the OP and prefer it over these four, you're of course welcome to tell about it. It's fun to learn about other all-round 'pieces also.

·
3,202 Posts
Well I'm pretty happy with the new Drake Bergonzi Slant. Aaron changed it from an 8 to an 8* for me. It's really a pretty great piece but not quite as full on the bottom end as the 9* Bergonzi EB I had. However that one was a little to spread sounding in general for my taste. This Slant is really the best piece I've had all around, better than the MPC Slant Supreme and the 8 I have that Brian tweaked for me is very, very good.

Still you always wonder what else is out there...mmmm, should I try the holy Robusto again?:)

·
3,202 Posts
I've been fortunate there as I either buy used mouthpieces or get new mouthpieces from people that have a trial/guarantee program. Purchasing premium pricey pieces is the path to poverty.
Well I don't know about poverty, I could always make the money back for one after about 6 months of USA domestic jazz gigs.:)

3,364 Posts
Yes he could afford at least a couple playing his repertoire. :)
For sure he can afford more than a few, and the guy can play. When I see a video of Kenny, I think his playing from the corner of his mouth and smiling kind of puts two fingers up at all the business men selling a magic potion in a mouthpiece.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts