Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Recently purchased a 10Mfan Robusto 7* HR and really enjoy playing it. It is very free & flexible and I particularly like the ease and intonation of altissimo. I see that there is a metal version of the Robusto, but its a lot of cash to shell out without trying it. If you have tried both the HR and metal versions, please give a comparison of the two. Warmth, body, ease & intonation in extreme registers (high/low), anything that would be useful really.

Thanks for your thoughts...

·
SOTW Administrator
26,212 Posts
Both mouthpieces are great, but the metal robusto 9 that replaced my HR robusto 9 is the better of the two pieces for me. It has a 'quicker' response and the altissimo is much easier to lock in. The differences are quite subtle, though. Besides that, the gold plating on the metal is gorgeous!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Jay Thomas does a nice demo on the metal Robusto:

I have both metal and HR Robustos and play them both. You can't go wrong either way.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,149 Posts
I'm worried that the metal will sacrifice warmth for punch- is this the case with the 10Mfans?
No, not at all; you won't sacrifice any warmth in the metal piece. I don't think anyone can say which you'd prefer (except you). As hak mentioned, both are great, so it's more a matter of which one helps you get the sound concept you're looking for.

I also have both (9 metal and 8* HR) and for me, the metal one gets me closer to the tone quality I was after. I also find it to have a bit more resistance (which you may or may not like) than the HR, which allows me to push it harder and yes, deliver more punch. I think the metal one is more powerful, probably not because it's metal, but as Mark has said, it's a slightly different design. However, it has just as much warmth (for me anyway). I do think the metal version has a 'wider' spectrum of sound, from dark to bright, so when I want to get a brighter more cutting sound, I can.

All that said, I think the HR version might play a bit easier and is super responsive. But it doesn't deliver the sound that I can get out of the metal version (think Stanley Turrentine/Dexter Gordon--tone-wise-- not that I can play anywhere near as well as those guys!!). Mark described the metal Robusto as being somewhere between a Link and a Berg. I'd say that's pretty accurate. I hate to put it this way, but "Link on steroids" would also be an accurate description. In any case it was exactly what I've been looking for over the past couple of years.

The big caveat is you have to try it for yourself. We're all different.

p.s. Stretch just posted that clip of Jay Thomas while I was posting. Jay brings out the sound I'm talking about with the metal version VERY well in that clip.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Haven't tried a H.R. but have a metal 8* Robusto.
The metal Robusto is extremely flexible. I had to play around on the type of reed and strength to use and settled on a Rigotti Gold 3 light.
This gives a punchy sound but it can be changed to a warmer sound with other types of reed. Speak to Mark (10MFAN) who can bombard you with information.
I have now got rid of all my tenor MPCs and only use the metal Robusto.

·
Vendor
15,467 Posts
Thanks guys. I find both the hard rubber and metal Robusto to be REALLY wonderful mouthpieces.
Some people prefer the rubber over the metal, others prefer the metal over the rubber, and so many love both equally as well. Some prefer the metal because they like the smaller feel in their mouth compared to hard rubber, and the hard rubber guys prefer the feeling in their mouth to the bigger piece opposed to the metal.
In other words---There are really no correct answers here because it's just personal preference.
I can play the Robusto metal very warm and classic sounding like a Florida Link, and it has a much bigger sound.
I can also push it and it's got plenty of power and sizzle like a Berg, as JL mentioned earlier. I hate to use any other mouthpieces as a reference, because my designs are completely original, but this gives you an idea. For me, I don't lose any of the warmth with the metal piece whatsoever. As with all of my pieces, you can use reeds to adjust the sound to keep the warmth how you want it.
If you play a Rigotti reed and you find it a little bright, I recommend that you go to a warmer reed to get the warmth that you want. It is a very simple and and extremely effective way to use your 10mfan mouthpiece properly.
So many players run to refacers to have a piece made brighter or warmer, but my pieces are broken up into three simple categories, so after you choose the category that fits you best, the warmth and brightness in that category can be adjusted greatly with simple reed changes.

If you play my Merlot metal and it is too warm for you and you want some more highs in the sound, then you just need to go to the Robusto. If you are a player that finds the Robusto metal isn't bright enough for you with the brightest reeds, then you just go to my last category piece which is The Boss.
Three categories that should pretty much fit every player out there.

Doc---send me an email at: [email protected]

All the best, Mark

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your comments, everyone. Stretch- that is a great demo. Does sound pretty similar to the HR, with perhaps a wider spectrum of sound. Then again, Jay Thomas is going to get a much wider spectrum than I pretty much every day of the week. Mark- thanks for reaching out. Just about everyone has great things to say about your pieces, but they always talk about how helpful and personable you are as well.

Seeing as I have only been on the HR for a few months, I think I'm going to hold off on the metal for a bit... of course, if I'm super curious about it & prob wouldn't hesitate if I saw a used one at a great price. My wife keeps saying, "really, another mouthpiece?"

Thanks again for your help everyone!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts