Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I hope you are all well.

This has been a crazy couple of months here as most of you know.
1. I have a new craftsman doing my hard rubber mouthpieces for me

2. My 10MFAN Generation ll pieces have transformed:
A. We no longer have thin side rails and tip rails
B. Complete new set of facing curves for all the models in all the sizes
C. The playability of the new Generation ll pieces is better than I could have imagined
D. The handwork is phenomenal

3. I will be introducing my Generation ll metal pieces worked on and plated by the great Matt Marantz, starting with the Black Widow within the next five weeks.

I am making this announcement that we will be making some limited Generation ll pieces made of super strong Ultem.

These pieces are a semi-transparent orange color made of this very strong plastic. Here is the information on the internet:

“High strength plastic with outstanding electrical and high service temperature properties.
Ultem® (polyetherimide) is a semi-transparent high strength plastic material that can operate in high service temperature environments. Ultem® is resistant to hot water and steam and can withstand repeated cycles in a steam autoclave. Ultem® has outstanding electrical properties, with one of the highest dielectric strengths of any thermoplastic material”.
This is FDA compliant.

Ron Coelho with RPC mouthpieces is using this material and I have heard good things from players. I will not be stocking this because it will be impossible for my craftsman to keep up with my orders at this rate if I offer the German hard rubber, metal, and Ultem.

So what I have decided, is to make these available on a limited basis only, and offer them at a great price of $299 plus shipping.
This price will be for both my alto and tenor pieces. EVERYTHING WILL BE HAND FINISHED.

The way it will work, is that I will have some pieces made and finished by my craftsman, and I will post whats available. These will not be on an order type basis. My guy could not possibly keep up with everything at that rate, so I will post whats made and available here, and you can let me know if you want one.
I will probably post 10 at a time, when I post.

Your wish list:
I would appreciate that if you are interested in this, let me know what model and tip interests you on your wishlist, so I can start keeping track here of whats of the most interest. I will keep a list of what you guys want and I will be posting every few weeks with these pieces for sale.

I am starting with Robusto 7**’s and Classic 6*’s.
Feel free to post here which piece is on your wish list, so I can determine what to offer in the next round.

Customer feedback is incredibly important, and greatly appreciated.
It has helped transform my mouthpieces and my Company, and I am forever grateful.

The first batch of 10 should be done with my craftsman about four weeks from today.

Hard rubber pricing info changes coming shortly......stay tuned.

All the best, Mark

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you want a Robusto 7** or a Classic 6*, please email me so that you can get one of these.

There will be 5 of each available in the first offering.

[email protected]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,315 Posts
I had sworn never to buy another mouthpiece, but this was simply too tempting! It will also allow me to go to a smaller opening, something that is helpful now that I have less time for my saxes. I absolutely love the Ultem bari piece that I have from Ron Coelho. Ultem is a great, resilient material and, in the right hands, possible to machine and finish as well HR. Now, I just have to figure out what has to go to justify my zero sum policy for gear. I had been doing well for ages, but evidently not as great as I thought. :)

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
I’m so glad you are getting a piece, and I can’t wait to see what you think.
These will be very popular, but I just can’t have my craftsman working on a lot of these as the new Generation ll hard rubber pieces are a full time job on their own. Because of that, these will be in limited supply, for sure.

At this price, it’s a really nice treat for everyone.
Again, thank you all.

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys!

5 Classics in a 6* will be made—— 3 are already spoken for
5 Robustos in a 7** will be made—-2 are already spoken for

Let me know if you want one of these because there are only a few left.
I will offer different sizes the next round.

Thank you,
Mark

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Steve!
Hope you are doing well, my friend.

I will put up pictures once they are finished. I’ll put a 7** aside for you.

It’s a nice way to offer a hand finished mouthpiece for $299.

Thank you for everything you do for the saxophone community. Your reviews are outstanding, always.

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5 Classics in a 6* will be made——- 3 are already spoken for
5 Robustos in a 7** will be made—- 3 are already spoken for

If you want one of these, just let me know.

I have not put up anything on Facebook yet as I always give SOTW a few days to get first rights to anything.

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have just one 7** Robusto left that someone can grab, and two 6* Classics left.

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys,

I have one Classic six star available and one Robusto seven double star available.

We are making the pieces next week and then sending them to my guy.

Grab them while you can. I will not be making a lot of these so if you are interested, here’s your chance.

All the best, Mark

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are all taken now. I will decide what to make next and let you guys know.

Thank you

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,
The pieces are being made at the shop this week and then they are being sent out to my craftsman to do the hand finishing.
I will post pics, once I have them back here.

All the best, Mark

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am thinking Robusto 7* and Black Widow 7** tenor pieces for the next round....

Let me know whose in.

Thanks

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,414 Posts
I'd be interested in a 6 or 6* robusto, but modest tip openings aren't cool again yet...My 6* metal robusto is killer, but I want to play around with a pickup and I'm hesitant to drill my neck even though I went through the process of finding a second neck that feels and responds the same for me for specifically that reason. Even though a $299 piece is more expensive than the alternate neck I grabbed, the portability should I ever change horns might be worth it and having a second mouthpiece for electronic stuffs that's only a very slight departure from my daily (and only) driver seems a better option and takes up less case space than a second neck.

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,
The modest tips are cool with me---I am using one and loving it!
Because of the way the shop is set up, we are just doing groups of 5 in one model in one tip size, each round.

I cant see doing the Ultem in a small tip Robusto like that, unless I can get a few others who want that size. Then we can do it.
The Classic 6* is very popular, so that was a no brainer, but the Robusto isn't nearly as popular in that size. The Robusto is always good to go in a 7* or 7**. I happen to love the 6* Robusto.

I have a wish list going, and Ive got you down for a 6 or 6* Robusto.

If you want one in the hard rubber in a 6*, I have a brand new one here for the $350 Anniversary sale price for 2 more days.

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE:

Hi guys,
The Ultem rods are at the shop now and will be cut tomorrow.
They will then go to my craftsman, and should be finished and ready to ship to you in about 12 days.

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got in the first picture of my new Robusto in Ultem.

Looks very cool! They are going to my craftsman on Monday and I will have them back about 10 days after that.

I should call it the “Tiger Series”. 😀

$299 hand finished by the best of the best!

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Question:

Which model are you guys thinking about for the next round?

The Robusto is so popular, so I may do that in a 7*, and let me know what you guys would like for the other model.

The Showtime is such a ridiculously great mouthpiece that I am leaning towards that in a 7**.

Let me know your thoughts.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts