Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,497 Posts
Hi,
I had a Martin committee II tenor here for about two years and my mouthpieces worked beautifully on it.
I have yet to find a saxophone that my mouthpieces don’t sound great on. I have tried all of the old vintage horns that I could get my hands on and loads of modern horns and I just have not found any that had any issues whatsoever.

I hope you get one for yourself so you can see what all the talk is about. If you need help picking out a model or any of that, feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to assist, whether you get it from me directly or not.

All the best, Mark

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
My Martin Committee III and 10MFan Robusto 8* is a marriage made in heaven. The combo is sublime for me. I've been playing on that setup for a few years now, and won't go back to the STM it replaced.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I have played on a The Martin Tenor for over a decade; I've played the 10mfan mouthpieces since they've come out 5 years ago. They are a match made in heaven. Outstanding intonation, playability, fun, depth of tone, everything you could want.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was leaning towards a robusto 8* since thats the tip opening Im currently on with the STM while on the subject what reeds are yall playing on them. I guess I will get with you mark and find out detail and such at some point thanks for the input. Martins rule!

Jimmie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
These are but one of the many many options that could work on a Martin tenor.
Phil Tone, Aaron Drake, Morgan, RPC, the list goes on.
Brilhart pieces are also a nice combination on these.

·
Registered
197 Posts
To tell the truth, I had always avoided Martrins and was unimpressed with the sound UNTIL I heard Dowshu on his 1938 Martin with his 10MFan Merlot. WOW! I heard things in that setup that I had never heard in a Martin before... and Dowshu sounded unbelievable. Even more impressive than usual....

So, I had to get one and lucked into a brother to his horn, also an unusual 1938. Mine came with a 1940's era Otto Link in excellent condition. I played tested the Link against my Merlot and my Robusto on all kinds of reeds. The Otto Link sounded shrill and tinny regardless and both my 10MFans blew it away on every reed I tried. The combo is so good it has become my main setup.... as was stated earlier, my piece of setup heaven.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a *8 Robusto for sale in the marketplace but you probably can't see the marketplace until you get more posts. I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
93 Posts
And I'm still playing the fantastic Martin Comm I which saxcop kindly sold to me along with either a metal Robusto 9* or HR Merlot 10. A pleasure to play.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Administrator note:

I have a *8 Robusto for sale in the marketplace but you probably can't see the marketplace until you get more posts. I sent you a PM.
Buying/selling/trading with any member who does not yet qualify for the Marketplace through SOTW, be it PM, email, or anywhere else on the forum, is STRICTLY against the rules. It is punishable by having your account permanently banned.I strongly advise you to avoid making such errors in the interest of keeping your membership here.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I personally prefer my Lamberson J7 on not just the Martin but on my 10M and Couf Superba as well. Nothing against 10mfan pieces though. I have a Robusto and Merlot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts