Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the last long post from me, and it’s regarding a change to my hard rubber mouthpiece prices.

I would first of all would like to thank all of you for the great support and fantastic feedback I’ve received regarding my mouthpieces. I have listened and made the necessary adjustments to put out my Generation ll hard rubber mouthpieces for alto and tenor.

Without your feedback, this would not have happened.

The sale I have going on this month to celebrate my 6 year anniversary, has been beyond my expectations. I am so grateful and humbled by this. It seems anytime I offer a big sale like around the holidays in December, I get such an overwhelmingly great response from players who are thankful for the highly discounted prices so that they can get into my mouthpieces, when normally they wouldn’t feel as comfortable at the regular prices.

This has been a life changing year for me in many ways and I am just so grateful for the feedback and the friendships I have made because of these mouthpieces. Because of this and and the joy from my sale, I have decided to do something that you don’t see in the mouthpiece world.

When I first put these mouthpieces out in the marketplace, my mouthpieces were set at a price I thought was incredibly generous. ($385). Over time, due to the success, I raised my prices and my current tenor mouthpieces have been at $465 for some time now. This Anniversary sale has been a real eye-opener for me and because of that, I am announcing today that my prices will be LOWERED in August for good.

There is nothing more rewarding than getting more people into my mouthpieces, and the way to do that is to lower the prices for everyone.

Starting in August, my new Generation ll tenor hard rubber prices will be $375 and my new Generation ll alto hard rubber prices will be $350.

That is for original design mouthpieces made of German bar stock hard rubber, and expertly hand finished one at a time. I will not be offering any more sales during the year, as these prices will be good all year round for everybody.

Also, if you didn't see my announcement yesterday, I am also offering my mouthpieces in limited supply made from a super hard plastic called Ultem. Ron Coelho from RPC is using this material too. I am offering those mouthpieces in limited supply for only $299, and every piece is hand finished.

This is truly the year of giving back and being thankful for everything.

One more important change before I forget....
I will be toning down all of my for sale ads for good. I’ve gotten great feedback about my mouthpieces and my for sale ads. My passion, excitement, and joy from my mouthpiece line can get me very pumped up, and that excitement can often lead to some for sale ads that I put up that others feel are over the top. I completely get it, appreciate the critique, and I will be toning everything down from now on.
I will be giving the exclamation mark tab and caps tab on my computer, a well needed break. :)

I really appreciate all the friendships I have made here and all of the support and the kindness I have received from so many.

I hope the pricing change will help many of you experience my new Generation ll hard rubber mouthpieces now.

Best wishes to everyone,
Mark
10MFAN

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,573 Posts

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How classic is Phil Woods solo on that cut! ....the most perfect pop sax solo.

Thank you very much, guys.
I think my new philosophy is to “keep on changing” and strive to make things better.

The situation with Eric got miserable, but it fueled me in a great way, and things have really taken off since then. I really can’t imagine being any happier. It’s made my family life so much better, (happy wife, happy life :) ), and it’s made my business much more successful. So many good things have happened so far this year. My son tells me all the time now, that he is so happy to see me so happy. He's 19, and just awesome.
I’m also down 45 pounds since New Year’s, so thats been a real positive too. Lowering my prices for my mouthpieces makes me so happy, and I’ve been working hard here on trying to figure out the best and most feasible way to offer returns with my mouthpieces where it will be doable. Not doing the hand work on my mouthpieces myself makes things more difficult, but I am throwing all options around here, and determined to make that happen.
Metal pieces will be coming out, and also a soprano hard rubber piece before the year ends.

So much stuff going on, but it’s all good stuff.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thank you.
Thank you for being willing to change and evolve. Thank you for telling us what is going on. Even casual users of your pieces are interested in your product and stories. Thank you for listening to criticism. This is difficult for most of us. Thank you for taking care of yourself this year! I want to put your pieces on my daughter’s saxophones in the future. Thank you for the Merlot, Black Widow, and Daddy-O that I enjoy every day!
Good luck!

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for saying all of that, my friend.
That was really a beautiful thing to read.

I think for some reason when I’m doing business, I put on that business face and when I’m not doing business, it’s a different face. I think we all do that to some extent, but I need to just be me in all situations and show the vulnerable side and other sides. My website is set up so it’s not just pictures and prices, so I did a good job with that, but I need to apply it to more things. It’s all a learning experience and I am open to just get better and better. I will definitely keep everybody updated when it comes to new models and I am completely open to suggestions and feedback and all of that.

If anybody has mouthpiece questions, please feel free to write me and I will help out as much as I can. I’ve been selling mouthpieces for over three decades and I’m happy to help out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,120 Posts
How classic is Phil Woods solo on that cut! ....the most perfect pop sax solo.

Thank you very much, guys.
I think my new philosophy is to “keep on changing” and strive to make things better.

The situation with Eric got miserable, but it fueled me in a great way, and things have really taken off since then. I really can’t imagine being any happier. It’s made my family life so much better, (happy wife, happy life :) ), and it’s made my business much more successful. So many good things have happened so far this year. My son tells me all the time now, that he is so happy to see me so happy. He's 19, and just awesome.
I’m also down 45 pounds since New Year’s, so...
...so you’ve been doing your own yard work here in Florida?

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,904 Posts
Congrats on everything; sounds like a great year for you. I've lost over 30 lbs myself! Major kudos on this price reduction...you never see this in today's world!! Thanks for thinking of the consumer; most businesses don't do this. I appreciate you being willing to share some of the personal side as well.

Keep doin' what you're doin' man! The new generation II mouthpieces are out of this world and hopefully more guys will check them out because of this!

- Saxaholic

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Bill.
Congrats to you also! 30 lbs is great.
I told you that you would love the new pieces even more. Everyone across the board has agreed that they play better and look even better. I can’t tell you how great it is to get a tracking number, and actually see the mouthpieces the next day, as promised. The efficiency change here has been incredible. Because of this, the shop is making way more pieces for me than ever before and everything is running so smoothly. All the pieces are done beautifully, with great precision. It’s been a real journey to get to this point. The new facing curves are so much more player friendly, and the side rail and tip rail changes have been a major part of it. I played my Showboat alto today for over two hours and it’s just such a powerhouse player. I was thinking how much I liked my old Beechler Diamond Dot Alto mouthpieces years ago, and there is just no comparison between those and my alto pieces. Completely night and day. My pieces just eat those up.
It’s a great feeling to be where I am at right now. I think the altos show the greatest change, in my opinion. They are both just so perfect for me right now. I haven’t said anything yet, but I will be making a warmer alto model than both of those over the next six months. That one will become the category one piece, the Daddy O will be my category two piece, and the Showboat will be my category three piece.
It’s all coming together here in such a beautiful way.

Did you ever send your horn out to Aaron for the overhaul? His work is outstanding. I still wish I had bought that old Conn alto from you a few months back. I regret letting that one sneak away from me.
I am currently using and thoroughly enjoying the Crescent ll alto I picked up from Paulo From Just Saxes. Mark R here at SOTW recommended it to me, and he was right on. It plays great top to bottom and the set up is done with such great detail. We worked out a trade with my mouthpieces, so everyone is happy. I highly recommend this alto to anyone looking, and I believe they retail for only around $800 or so. What a great deal.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Congratulations on all points Mark :) Keep up the good work. Embracing change is good!

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much, my friend. You are so right on about embracing change.
This one was literally life-changing. So how are things going there for you? I saw that you are playing on a couple of Phil’s pieces, and that’s great. I got to try his alto Meyer type Le Son piece recently from a local player who got one, and it was a very nice player. The Meyer guys will really enjoy that piece. I will be making a warmer alto model, shortly. The two alto pieces I put out are category two and three models.....so I will put out a warmer category 1 model to round everything out here soon. We also adjusted the body sizes so that a ton of ligs fit beautifully now.
It’s always about evolving and making things the best they can be.

The customer feedback here has been invaluable.

Stay in touch, my friend.

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would like to thank the people that added posts here, sent me private messages, and sent me emails with such nice things to say.
I really appreciate you guys for taking the time and making the effort to do that.

Very meaningful.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thank you so much, my friend. You are so right on about embracing change.
This one was literally life-changing. So how are things going there for you? I saw that you are playing on a couple of Phil’s pieces, and that’s great. I got to try his alto Meyer type Le Son piece recently from a local player who got one, and it was a very nice player. The Meyer guys will really enjoy that piece. I will be making a warmer alto model, shortly. The two alto pieces I put out are category two and three models.....so I will put out a warmer category 1 model to round everything out here soon. We also adjusted the body sizes so that a ton of ligs fit beautifully now.
It’s always about evolving and making things the best they can be.

The customer feedback here has been invaluable.

Stay in touch, my friend.
Yeah, I'm playing his Le Son and a Tribute Ltd on the tenor - both amazing pieces. I want to try your new metal Robusto when it comes out too!

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ll let you know when it is out, for sure.
The Black Widow comes out first and then the Robusto metal.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,904 Posts
Thanks Bill.
Congrats to you also! 30 lbs is great.
I told you that you would love the new pieces even more. Everyone across the board has agreed that they play better and look even better. I can’t tell you how great it is to get a tracking number, and actually see the mouthpieces the next day, as promised. The efficiency change here has been incredible. Because of this, the shop is making way more pieces for me than ever before and everything is running so smoothly. All the pieces are done beautifully, with great precision. It’s been a real journey to get to this point. The new facing curves are so much more player friendly, and the side rail and tip rail changes have been a major part of it. I played my Showboat alto today for over two hours and it’s just such a powerhouse player. I was thinking how much I liked my old Beechler Diamond Dot Alto mouthpieces years ago, and there is just no comparison between those and my alto pieces. Completely night and day. My pieces just eat those up.
It’s a great feeling to be where I am at right now. I think the altos show the greatest change, in my opinion. They are both just so perfect for me right now. I haven’t said anything yet, but I will be making a warmer alto model than both of those over the next six months. That one will become the category one piece, the Daddy O will be my category two piece, and the Showboat will be my category three piece.
It’s all coming together here in such a beautiful way.

Did you ever send your horn out to Aaron for the overhaul? His work is outstanding. I still wish I had bought that old Conn alto from you a few months back. I regret letting that one sneak away from me.
I am currently using and thoroughly enjoying the Crescent ll alto I picked up from Paulo From Just Saxes. Mark R here at SOTW recommended it to me, and he was right on. It plays great top to bottom and the set up is done with such great detail. We worked out a trade with my mouthpieces, so everyone is happy. I highly recommend this alto to anyone looking, and I believe they retail for only around $800 or so. What a great deal.
Yeah, Aaron has the tenor. No idea when I get it back, depends on Andersons. I have thought about the Just Saxes altos a few times. Good to hear solid stuff about them...maybe ill look into one of those to have a solid cheap alto around. And yes, the silver 6M was absolutely unreal dude...you would have gone bananas for it!!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
240 Posts
Great news all the way around Mark! For the greater sax community and for you personally... Making your mpcs even more accessible is so in keeping with the 10MFan brand you have built.
And, personally loosing 30 lbs is amazing - as you know, I went that route as well so I know how tough that is. Congratulations on all fronts!

ChuBarry

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, my friend.

The lower pricing has gotten a lot of great response so far.
It was just time. The right thing to do.
This has been a transformational few months for me in such a positive way, and I just want to share the joy.

I would love to get together with you, so let me know when you are in the area.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very nice indeed. Congrats for your mouthpiece Mark.

Quick question, at which price will be your Metal mouthpieces?

All the best

·
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you so much.

The metals are so costly to make. I don’t think people have any idea of the process and costs, so let me help explain it....

My metal pieces get made at the shop in Texas. I have to pay the shop extra for the polishing process and for the bite plate. Then I pay them for the pieces to be sent to Matt Marantz in NY. I then pay Matt for the hand finishing and also the gold plating. Then I will pay for the shipping cost back to me. It’s a costly process so the prices need to be much higher than the hard rubber pieces.

If I did the hand finishing and plating myself, the process would be less costly, obviously.
I am hoping for $599 for the metal pieces but if I need to get these to dealers, the price has to go up because they need to make their margins. It’s all a very tricky balancing act.
I prefer to sell directly to the players, and just take the dealers out of the equation for my metals, so I am leaning towards the $599.
They will not be any cheaper than that. After getting beat up with the costs, not including PayPal fees, the costs of my shipping tubes and labels, etc., the margins on the metals aren’t very appealing to me whatsoever. I will probably limit my sizing for tip openings to make it easier to make this happen here.

My hard rubber prices will come down in 2 days for good, because the process is less expensive and we have improved with the efficiency, so I am happy to do that.

Once I get my first BW Metal pieces finished by Matt Marantz, I will know the exact total cost for the whole process based on how much time he needs on his end, added to the rest of the costs.

I sell so many hard rubber mouthpieces and the metals are an extended offering for the metal guys, so they will be able to enjoy my designs. I will put out world-class metal mouthpieces over the next six months. They will not be priced below $599. I’m shooting hard for $599.

All the best,
Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts