Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently had my "The Martin Tenor" completely restored, and the horn gained a lot of punch and power as a result. My current Showtime plays fantastic if you want more brilliance to the sound. But I was looking for something warmer. The ultem Robusto is excellent and I could easily play it in almost any situation. But I was trying to go for a warmer sound with less punch, but I didn't want to give up the ability to blow loud and powerful.

I just got an orange ultem Classic 7* and it is a fantastic match for my horn. Wonderful warmth and complexity, but it still has power...but it doesn't get bright, it just gets more powerful with a huge warmth. I played at a holiday jazz party last night and received tons of compliments on the sound...from guys I played with for a decade or more....and I hadn't even played this horn for 6 months.

Altissimo doesn't make sense on this piece. It plays as easily as my higher baffle Showtime but it is warmer. I dont understand how it actually plays that register as easily...everything we hear about mouthpieces says it should be at least a LITTLE more difficult...but everything was right there as soon as I played it.

It's a perfect match for my horn and I love the big warm sound I get. For you Martin players...if you want a warm, rich, complex piece that has power and easy altissimo response...look no further. The 10mfan Classic is it!

- Saxaholic

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Hi bro,
Really glad that Classic piece is the perfect fit for you with that horn. I know you have loved all of my models, but I had a feeling when you told me the horn came back and had much more brightness and punch to it, that you would prefer the Classic to the other models.

So glad you found the match for yourself!
Happy holidays my friend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What kind of pad resos set up did you get might help us understand the setup better I used to have beasonator over sized brass resos in my martin and they were a bit too much for me.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have black roo pads with oversized reso-tech solid silver flat resonators. I started with tan pads and flat plastic resos.

Really glad I used the silver resotechs. Lots more available punch and a lot more resonant with a ton of depth and sparkle to the tone. I wont say the resos and pads did all of it. I only had the opportunity to change out pads and resos multiple times on a single horn and I liked what the solid silver reso-techs did so that's why I used them on this restoration.

- Saxaholic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts