Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this video in from SOTW member Jamie O'Donnell.

Beautiful playing and great sound on his 10MFAN Daddy-O 5 alto mouthpiece.

Enjoy!

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me too. :)

I love his sound, phrasing, and playing. Just such a great person and a great player.

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robert Anchipolovsky wrote me today and told me how beautiful he thought Jamie sounded. That’s high praise. He said he is also really loving his Daddy-O mouthpiece so much. It’s an honor that such great players are enjoying my designs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did you see the Joel Frahm advertisement on Facebook for his upcoming European Tour? His tenor is sporting a 10mfan mouthpiece with the trademark three ring shank.

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did, thank you.
He was a fan of the Robusto and Merlot as soon as they came out.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Thanks so much Mark. I’m really enjoying this piece and I’ve been using it for everything. I can get a huge sound on it without excessive edge etc. And, it’s very reed-friendly.
Great mouthpiece-Cheers!
Beautiful alto sound Jamie! Did you try the 10mfan Showboat mouthpiece as well?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Beautiful alto sound Jamie! Did you try the 10mfan Showboat mouthpiece as well?
Thanks so much Liam!

I did try the Showboat too and it played great. Christian Brewer and I did a lot of back and forth practice but I was already pretty settled on the Daddy-O. The Showboat was more open than mine anyway, and I thought brighter, but I was surprised how I could articulate like Phil Woods at the bottom of the horn on it (that offbeat articulation thing). Neither of them come over as too bright anyway, just really full.

I have a fantastic Meyer NY that I've played for years, and the Daddy-O is fairly similar but gives me a bit more volume and a bit more sub-tone. It's not the same as my Meyer, and I try not to switch as I find I need to settle on it. It's fun :)

J

That's how I'd love to sound on the alto !

Rhys
Thanks Rhys!

Great playing Jamie! Very expressive and rich.

- Saxaholic
Thanks!

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Liam,
Hope you are doing great.
The Showboat will have more brightness and punch available, and it is also more free blowing.
The Daddy O will fit the traditional guys very well though it still has more volume and punch available than the traditional vintage hr alto mouthpieces. Reed choices make both of these mouthpieces incredibly versatile and flexible. They can change into many mouthpieces with simple reed brand changes.

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jamie,
Which reed brand and size are you using in this clip, and also which ligature?
I know the tip opening is a 5, which measures .072, but I just don’t know your set up otherwise.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Jamie,
Which reed brand and size are you using in this clip, and also which ligature?
I know the tip opening is a 5, which measures .072, but I just don’t know your set up otherwise.
It was Vandoren Java green #3.5, but shaved down. I normally use V16 #3 (on one at the moment) reeds and they play great with it.

The Ligature was a Vandoren M/O.

To be honest, it works great with most things I've stuck on there.

·
16,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I enjoy those ligatures too.
The Java green can be bright for many, but it just sounds perfect to me on your clip. Vibrant with also a sweetness to it!
This is why I insist that everyone make the effort with trying different brands and sizes, so they can really dial in what it is that they personally want in terms of feel, color, and sound, from their set up.

Any good playing reed will work on any of my mouthpieces, but it’s really up to the player to dial-in what they want for themselves.
Some players will get my mouthpieces and try the reed brand they been using, and they are done. Others will try a few different brands and pick what they love and they are done. Others, will take out a box of a bunch of assorted reeds they have accumulated and go through everything, and pick out what they love.
The amount of effort the player puts in is individual, and based on what they are seeking.

Thank you so much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts