Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent most of my time playing metal mouthpieces on tenor...same story I wasn't looking for another mouthpiece but have found I really love that I get as much, if not more projection on my new Black Widow 7** tenor piece than I had with my high baffle metal tenor pieces...big difference it a great big, warmer, fatter more colorful tone. Played my first gig on the Black Widow last weekend and even after a 4 hour gig of constant blowin' goin' for a Mardi Gras party my chops were fresh and I could have played even longer. In layman terms the keyboard player on that gig (who also is a great sound tech for a local PA company when he's not playing, also plays sax too) told me in comparison to the sax player I subbed for (whom is a great player, plays on a SS Ponzol M2) said "Man you got a wet sound I love and the other player sounds dry. With both pieces the usual superlatives fit, plays great throughout the ranges of the horn and from ppp to FFF with no problem and most importantly really gives me the tone, voice I want with great comfort and ease.
Now I do feel I can "get out of the showroom and into the practice room" with these great 10mFan mouthpieces...they really for me are what I've always been after (and thought I had with what I was on before but when I A/B these gems with my previous set-ups for real, no hype these 10mFan pieces far excel how the other pieces I played on were working out for me. Happy to say I feel like I can focus on playing my horn. These pieces are doing what I want period.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
LOL - I too have (as well as my 17 year old son) have 7** 10MFan's Black Widow mouthpieces.

I think you have accurately describe how I feel about it. The only thing I'd like to add is that I had a long, LONG search for a mpc that I was happy with on tenor. THIS IS IT!! ppp to FFF is EXACTLY what it does. Voicing and tonal changes at will, yup!! If I can tell anybody and everybody, just TRY it if you can, and you'll see for yourself!!!

Mark has nailed it in my experience with this mpc!! Nice job!!!!

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Thank you both very much! I love that so many people are enjoying this model so much.

I got rid of my Boss hard rubber because it was a higher baffle piece and a lot of jazz guys couldn’t get comfortable with it like the pop guys could. Now the BW is truly my crossover piece which allows both sides to really enjoy either playing straightahead or more pop and powerful stuff, with ease. No one has to fight the high baffle here.
Incredibly flexible and versatile design and I couldn’t be happier.
If people take the time to go through my website and listen to the different mouthpieces in action, and read their descriptions, it will be very easy to nail down the piece that will be best for them.

Thank you all for the kind words and now you can focus on the music at hand. Enjoy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,045 Posts
The Black Widow is a rip roaring piece that can do more than just turn on the afterburners -- it's got such a wide spectrum, and a huge core sound that it can blend and mix in any situation. I have recorded probably 10 albums on it, and in many of them, have had to go from a Ben Webster kind of thing to a Lee Allen from track to track, and all I need to do is focus my airstream differently, and voila. I've never had a mouthpiece that can do Gene Ammons and Junior Walker at the same time, but this baby is it.

I just bought a mint 78xxx VI tenor and it's almost too dangerous a combination. That horn is as aggressive and loud as I have ever heard -- think Sonny Rollins on the Sonny Side Up Album. The Black Widow just takes it to another dimension.

What's next on tenor, Mark!?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love mine, too. Perfect match for my Reference 36 Tenor because it adds that little bit of "zing" to the sound without sacrificing warmth.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Thank you Eric and Claus!
I didn’t see your posts till right now. Hope you guys are well and I’m so glad you’re loving the mouthpieces.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have played a bunch of mouthpieces over the years... 40 years of playing, and in the past 2 years have played on about 6 of Mark's pieces for alto and tenor.
This Black Widow is something special... it really does it all. Depending on the reed you can go from a straight ahead jazz tone to a contemporary jazz
sound with no problem. If I back off it plays nice and soft, but when I want to push and get some edge... it responds.
Its the perfect crossover piece. I always get compliments on my tone from other sax players and they want to know my set up.
It sub tones easily, and it handles altissimo great.... its also easy to blow, and very reed friendly. Mark knowing my preferences in mouthpieces recommended the 8* so I went ahead and got it in that opening.
At first I was a little worried that it would be to large for me.... its not. I usually play a 7** or 8 but in this model the 8* is wonderful.
I highly recommend this mouthpiece as just about the perfect "can do it all" mouthpiece... I liked it so much I bought another one as a backup.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
I've been torn between my robusto and BW. Last few months I've been playing mostly quiet jazz gigs and also have had to practice at a low volume due to my location situation, so have been playing the robusto - which i love. But just today I decided to throw the BW on at practice as the place were I go was empty. Man, I forgot what a great piece it is. Such a great full sound, fantastic projection, and almost effortless to play. I'm sitting in tonight on a blues/funk gig and the BW will definitely be on the horn.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
You guys are the best! I really appreciate all of these fantastic reviews. People all over the world are enjoying these, and I thank you all for your great support here.

*** I just had a 7* and 8* made, so if anyone is looking for one in these two sizes, I happen to have both just finished here. ***

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Thank you very much for that. I FULLY AGREE.

Right now, the Classic, Robusto, Showtime, and Black Widow are 10MFAN brand mainstays for me. They are sensational original designs with great success in the marketplace all over the world, and have proven themselves to earn their place in my line-up.

The Merlot will be replaced this year with a different warm design with more power available, and the Super Widow powerhouse, punchy, and brighter piece will be added to round off the whole group. between those six pieces, there will be something for every hard rubber tenor player.

These pieces have proven themselves, so I announce NOW, that I will also make these designs available in metal....so stay tuned for that!

Yes, Bob.... I promise you will get my first BW metal when they come out. :)

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
Bob is a friend of mine and a member here. I know he will see that I will put out the BW in metal, and be excited, so I put that there for him. :)

The sops wont be out for a while. I will change that info on the website.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wanted to chime in here on the BW. I have an 8* and it’s very flexible. I can change the tone from dark to bright easily. I play a lot of genres, from jazz standards, pop, R&B, MoTown etc. It is even throughout the range in tone from top to bottom. Most pieces on my Mark VI change in sound, becoming darker and more stuffy from middle D to F or G. Not the BW. The low notes I think are the easiest I’ve had on tenor. What surprised me is how sweet, and really warm the sound is. It can get ronchy/nasty with varying degrees of edge that is very controllable. It can rock with a nice edge or soften and play ballads beautifully without changing reeds.
Brian

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Throw a Legere Signature on your BW and you have a whole new beast. My weapon of choice.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Still diggin' mine after almost a year..I had a brief thought about trying a smaller tip than 8* but instead I recently went down in reed strength for the low volume venues I've been working.

It is truly an outstanding mpc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm enjoying the BW with Java green 3s. For me, they're more flexible than the Jazz Select, but those are nice if I'm playing strictly jazz. G Hawk, I'll have to try the Signature, haven't sampled a synthetic reed in years. But your videos are part of what inspired me to give this piece a chance, as someone in the Beattles once said.
Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts