Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi Mark, I got my Falcon Woodwinds Florida yesterday. It is a great player! Some minor CNC machining imperfections on the body (exterior) but not a big deal. It plays wonderful. I think it is a good idea to send one to Steve Neff for review very soon (prior to NAMM ). It boosts the popularity quite a bit. The facing curve feels pretty easy for me for 7*, so I would say with the same facing curve Steve Neff probably will enjoy an 8 or even 8*. It is free blowing and tone and response are great top to bottom with easy altissimo and easy subtone down to low B/Bb. While it is a spread sounding mouthpiece, it has a good core to the sound. Very balanced that way, as well as very balanced by means of brightness and darkness. Right in the middle. Also the tone has a great character, whether you play it to sound delicate or make it bold.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just want to take a moment to thank all of you who showed up to try our mouthpieces at the show.
It was a huge success for both the 10MFAN and Falcon Woodwinds companies.
Lots of dealers taking on both companies as a package deal.
Very excited about this.
Thanks for the update Mark. Do you know if there is any appearance difference between Falcon Florida and Falcon DR? I mean if Eric added something to the engraving, ring styles, etc. Based on the reply I saw from Eric, DR apparently has slightly bigger chamber but I thought I check if there is something visually more distinguishable. Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi, hope you are well. Yes of course the outside is different because the double rings had the two rings on the shank next to each other. I will get up some pictures in a moment. Yes, those had bigger chambers.
Thanks Mark. What do you think about differences between FW Florida and Double Ring models regarding tone or any other aspects?

·
Registered
454 Posts
The DR will be warmer without as much bark available as the Florida.

The 2 clips above should really give everyone a great representation of what these 2 models can do, and how they differ from one another.
Thanks Mark. You are right. The two clips give a good idea of the differences. I ordered Florida but now I'm thinking I would perhaps like the warmer version (the double ring version). Although if someone is into more modern tone, R&B, etc. I imagine Florida will cover more ground, but I think the tone of the Double Ring is what associated with the vintage Link tone, or at least what I relate to the tone I hear in some of the old recordings.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I was also looking to some comparison videos and photos between double ring and early and mid 60's no USA Florida and looked like the baffle is changed quite a bit. The double ring has a short rollover baffle (I think it ended up being slightly longer in the one Eric copied but still sort of short) but once passed the first few millimeters with deeper angle down to the chamber. So the rollover perhaps gives that buzz and the dive to the chamber gives the fatness (sort of mid-scoop frequency profile), rather than Florida no USA that Eric used has a long and very slight rollover baffle (almost straight) but because the angle is not as deep toward the chamber, it creates more material in let's say 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the tip which perhaps contribute to make it sound brighter (high mid-range more pronounced) although the buzz and fatness is not as much as the double ring. Perhaps this characteristic makes it sound what you associate as aggressive. I imagine because of less buzz and more midrange it sounds as if it has more core tone that is also good for the loud mixes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts