Sax on the Web Forum banner

10MFAN and Falcon Woodwinds at NAMM this year

8K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  10mfan 
#1 ·
Come and visit Eric Falcon and Doug Webb at booth 9429 this year at the Namm show.
They will be displaying and selling the Falcon Woodwinds brand new Florida and Double Ring metals along with my full line of 10MFAN alto and tenor mouthpieces.

Thank you and enjoy the show.

#4 ·
Hi Mark, I got my Falcon Woodwinds Florida yesterday. It is a great player! Some minor CNC machining imperfections on the body (exterior) but not a big deal. It plays wonderful. I think it is a good idea to send one to Steve Neff for review very soon (prior to NAMM ). It boosts the popularity quite a bit. The facing curve feels pretty easy for me for 7*, so I would say with the same facing curve Steve Neff probably will enjoy an 8 or even 8*. It is free blowing and tone and response are great top to bottom with easy altissimo and easy subtone down to low B/Bb. While it is a spread sounding mouthpiece, it has a good core to the sound. Very balanced that way, as well as very balanced by means of brightness and darkness. Right in the middle. Also the tone has a great character, whether you play it to sound delicate or make it bold.

#5 ·
So glad you are digging it! We are hitting the market hard with these and players are seeing what they are all about. As I said, if you want the real experience this is it. If you want a longer facing curve, oversized baffle, and all the other stuff that guys are doing to their copies, you have lots of options in the marketplace.

If you are looking for the real experience of what a great vintage Link Florida STM and double ring played like, you don’t have to go through the marketplace and find a vintage one that’s overpriced in hopes that it will be a great one. This is your opportunity to see what the great ones played like. The best news, is that these are available anytime now so the days of hoping for a great Link replica are over.

#7 ·
DOUBLE RING and Florida videos from Doug Webb coming soon.

It was an excellent first day at the Namm show. Great feedback from the players about both of the companies mouthpieces. If you are going by the show, please make sure you stop at booth 9429 and try out some great mouthpieces.

***** TO ORDER: *****

You can contact me directly if you have questions or would like to place an order for either of our mouthpieces. Happy to
assist you.
My email is: connsaxman@comcast.net

#8 ·
DOUBLE RING and Florida videos from Doug Webb coming soon.

It was an excellent first day at the Namm show. Great feedback from the players about both of the companies mouthpieces. If you are going by the show, please make sure you stop at booth 9429 and try out some great mouthpieces.
I went to NAMM yesterday and visit Falcon Woodwinds boot. I tried the Double Ring. That was an 8. At first impression the mouthpiece looks beautiful. It felt a little light on my hand comparing to other replicas. The inner side rails are scooped out as they head towards the chamber and then look to flare out more when they enter the chamber. Eric did an amazing job on the chamber. I think that makes a big difference with others while obviously it comes to personal preference. I played and to echo other comments, it is a gem. Very fun to play. I look forward to Steve Neff s review.

Lock with International Woodwinds let me try one of their tenors, a beautiful silver one. It's a replica of a mark vi. The neck is a perfect replica of a 86xx neck, so little ticker than later necks. Gorgeous. The engrave is amazing. I have a Marv vi 74xxx silver French assembled and I have to say that international woodwinds tenor plays as good. I played it with Eric's double ring. Perfect match.

#9 ·
So glad you enjoyed the mouthpiece!
That is the true geometry of a Double Ring. The weight is the correct weight for a Double Ring. Some other replicas can be significantly heavier because of incorrect baffle height or incorrect chamber size, etc...

Doug Webb loves the Double Ring replica so much that it has become his MAIN mouthpiece now.

Hope you had a great time at NAMM, and thank you for your review.
All the best, Mark

#10 ·
Eric called today to tell me guys are going nuts for the Black Widow. He said many Durga and DV players came by to check it out, and were blown away. Nothing shrill or whiny sounding. Its not a high baffle, its a long medium height baffle---so jazz guys and pop type players can get along with it very easily. It's full and complex, top to bottom. You know something was designed right, when metal guys are really digging it. Very glad to hear this.

The show has been a great success and we still have one more day. Several new dealers and lots of orders.
Eric said Greg Osby LOVED my Showboat alto and is getting an 8 tip for himself.

Please come by Erics booth tomorrow and check out both of our lines of mpc's. Eric has some Falcon Woodwinds metals and hr pieces there too. The hr soprano is excellent.

All the best, Mark

#17 ·
I understand.

I texted Eric letting him know your thoughts.

As for price-->The pieces are $499 including shipping anywhere in the world.
As for finish--> they come in silver plate. (We may make the gold finish as an option but it will be more money)..
As for how they look-->The pieces look just like the original Florida and double ring pieces but in silver plate with Falcon on them.

As for ordering->If you want to order a piece just let me know. I put that in post number seven.

Pictures and all of that will be up shortly on his website. He's been out of his mind busy doing his pieces and my pieces and the Namm show requires a lot of time for him.
Information will be on the website soon.

I wish his website was done before the show also, but he has been out of his mind with all of these pieces getting them ready for the shows and sending out the first huge group of orders. Hang in there with us and things will be set up on the website shortly.

We have been offering dealers both the 10MFAN and Falcon Woodwinds pieces together as a package deal-- so we've gotten huge dealer orders already to fill, and it's been a whirlwind start ...just hang in there with us, please.

As for my 10MFAN mouthpieces, you can always go to my website and get all the information including descriptions, pictures, videos, audio's etc.
www.10mfan.com

#20 ·
I just want to take a moment to thank all of you who showed up to try our mouthpieces at the show.
It was a huge success for both the 10MFAN and Falcon Woodwinds companies.
Lots of dealers taking on both companies as a package deal.
Very excited about this.

#25 ·
Thanks for the update Mark. Do you know if there is any appearance difference between Falcon Florida and Falcon DR? I mean if Eric added something to the engraving, ring styles, etc. Based on the reply I saw from Eric, DR apparently has slightly bigger chamber but I thought I check if there is something visually more distinguishable. Thanks.

#30 ·
Thanks Mark. You are right. The two clips give a good idea of the differences. I ordered Florida but now I'm thinking I would perhaps like the warmer version (the double ring version). Although if someone is into more modern tone, R&B, etc. I imagine Florida will cover more ground, but I think the tone of the Double Ring is what associated with the vintage Link tone, or at least what I relate to the tone I hear in some of the old recordings.

#31 ·
I understand. The Florida’s and the double rings are different beasts.
If you look at the history of their mouthpiece line, you can see how they got more aggressive as time went on through the 70s. The Double Rings came before the Florida models, and they are warmer.

Master Link, 4****, Tonemaster, Double Ring models, Florida models, EB’s.

#32 ·
I was also looking to some comparison videos and photos between double ring and early and mid 60's no USA Florida and looked like the baffle is changed quite a bit. The double ring has a short rollover baffle (I think it ended up being slightly longer in the one Eric copied but still sort of short) but once passed the first few millimeters with deeper angle down to the chamber. So the rollover perhaps gives that buzz and the dive to the chamber gives the fatness (sort of mid-scoop frequency profile), rather than Florida no USA that Eric used has a long and very slight rollover baffle (almost straight) but because the angle is not as deep toward the chamber, it creates more material in let's say 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the tip which perhaps contribute to make it sound brighter (high mid-range more pronounced) although the buzz and fatness is not as much as the double ring. Perhaps this characteristic makes it sound what you associate as aggressive. I imagine because of less buzz and more midrange it sounds as if it has more core tone that is also good for the loud mixes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.