Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on a very very very clean 10M with rolled holes. Did I say very clean? It has just been professionally rebuilt and is in extra primo good playing condition.

What price range should I be looking at? The asking price is 2199.00.

Just wondering....

Thanks,
HUTMO

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,836 Posts
Grab it!!!!

..but of course try to talk them down to $2,000 first! ;)

·
10MFAN MOUTHPIECES "Innovation over imitation"
15,836 Posts
He said it had rolled tones holes, so at that price---- a very, very clean horn as he described it, is one to grab. We already know the serial is good. If its silverplated, its worth even more than lacquered, but no matter the finish... a super clean 10m with rolled tone holes at that price is definitely a great deal.
I've never seen an original goldplated 10m before....but I'd like to!

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
I'm still searching for an original Gold plated 30M, preferably a two tone matte/polished gold finish. I've been looking for MANY years with no luck though. :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,189 Posts
you should see the orig laq on my 1948 10m -it looks almost new . of course spending 30= years in its case helps

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10 M

LBAjazz said:
Just to play devil's advocate...couldn't "very, very,very clean" = relac.?
This is a lacquered tenor.

At first I thought it might be a relacquer, but I could see and feel that the engraving is quite crisp and the lacquer has darkened over time.

Going to play it on Saturday.

HUTMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Conn 10M

Greetings 10M lovers! I thought I would share a pic of my 1924 gold plate tenor. I have had this horn for thirty plus years. It has been a really great love it, hate it playing experience for me. Mostly love it. I will never sell it!
Keith N...

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
Othello3 said:
Isn't 1924 a little early for a 10M?
The official use of the Conn catalog numbers 6M/10M/12M/ etc. applies to the New Wonder models by Conn themselves, and not just the later "Artist" or informally "Naked Lady" models.

The nomenclature now among collectors is to call all "Artist" models by the name "10M" etc. as though it is exclusive to that model, which it isn't.

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I played the 10M

The serial number put the production date to 1945 - 46.

I played it the horn and I can see why these horns have legions of loyal followers. Such a free blowing and open horn.

I could not get a fair assessment of the horn for two reasons
1. I have not played in 1.5 months
2. I used a Dukoff Ebonite which I could tell was not made for this sax.

I could tell that that it is a player and in really nice condition to say the least considering the age of the horn. A few bleed spots and scratches but nothing major at all.

I played it side by side with a silver plated YTS-62 and the differences were there.. I am not saying that the YTS62 could not hang with the 10M... it is just different. Much more accurate overall but the playability and the room filling sound made me willing to forgive the Conn for its sins. ;)

Anyone want to buy a totally regulated Silver-pated YTS62?

Best regards,
HUTMO

PS: On a different note, I am leaving on June 9th to Ride my Harley Davidson Road King from Chicago to LA to get my kicks on Rt66! Overall I will be on the road for just over three weeks.

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did I buy?

I needed to think about it. I know it is a nice horn and that it is a good deal. But... I really need to think about it.

I have been playing my YTS 62 and have been enjoying it but the thoughts of that 10M sound and the feel it produced while playing... Jeeeese. Even though the Dukoff was not ideal you could still feel the voume this horn is capable of producing.

HUTMO

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a silver plated 10m, and after purchasing it I realized sections of it were gold plated, but one couldn't tell from all the tarnish. Polishes beautifully!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
SAXISMYAXE said:
I'm still searching for an original Gold plated 30M, preferably a two tone matte/polished gold finish. I've been looking for MANY years with no luck though. :(
When you find it, I'll take the sloppy seconds:) Having owned--albeit briefly--a 26M, I'm dying to try the big sister tenor, whatever she's wearing (or rather, not wearing).

R.

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Conn 10M

So I checked out this 10M again. This time with my chops back in shape and with an open chamber mouthpiece.

Very nice indeed.. I am going to buy it.

The serial is 319xxx no forked eflat, orginal lacquer, sharp engraving and an original case that has always had cover on it. It looks brand new. This is a tenor that has been cared for.

I will be picking it up later this week.

HUTMO

1 - 20 of 38 Posts