·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://soundcloud.com/cjc22-1

1974 Mark VI
1952 10M

RS Berkeley Chris Potter Link Clone w/ Rigotti Gold 3M reeds

No comments, personal preferences, or suggestions needed here....unless you just want to. I love them both!! :)

I just put this up for folks to be able to compare the focused/wet sound of the VI to the more spread/dry sound of the 10M on the same set up, with the same player, under identical recording conditions. (I even placed little markers for where to stand)

Conclusion: I still sound like me, just different flavors....

All the best everyone!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Sounds good. The VI sounds more dynamic and expressive to me and I prefer that sound. However, you're a good player and both sound great!

One question - what kind of recording setup did you use for that? I like the clarity of the sound on both takes.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Sounds good. The VI sounds more dynamic and expressive to me and I prefer that sound. However, you're a good player and both sound great!

One question - what kind of recording setup did you use for that? I like the clarity of the sound on both takes.
Nice ideas and tone, eitherway. Id say the MVI sounds a bit brighter, a little more edge or ping on each note. I guess that means the 10M was "darker" or "smokey", lol. Whichever you like, just keep playing.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I agree with everything said above. VI has more harmonics present in the sound, making it brighter than the 10m

I would predict that the VI would 'project' more when unmiked in a venue.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks! I used the following:

Brand New Macbook Pro
GarageBand
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
A touch of reverb and compression
Exported wave at 24 bit
****A GREAT room to record in (I have all hardwoods and a high ceiling in the front of my house)****

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Thanks! I used the following:

Brand New Macbook Pro
GarageBand
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
A touch of reverb and compression
Exported wave at 24 bit
****A GREAT room to record in (I have all hardwoods and a high ceiling in the front of my house)****
With that M-Audio interface, are you able to record with backing tracks through the headphones and then put it all back together on your computer?

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
Great tone on both. I have a slight preference for the 10M, but I would love to sound like either one of these clips!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Ha! Just goes to show how much, once you develop a sound, you can sound like "you" on almost any horn. The difference in the 2 is not hardly enough that I would really have a preference, or say you sound better on one or the other.

A lesser player, like myself, would likely have more of a difference on the horns. I know that I've never been able to like how I sound on a 10M. I don't think I'm a good enough player to really fill it up. On a VI (which I've only been able to test a few times) or other similar bore horns, I feel like I have something to blow against, for lack of a better way to say it. I like a little resistance to push against. Oddly, I don't feel the same with the JK horns, which makes no sense to me, unless it was more of a mouthpiece matchup kind of thing.

Great sound, sir.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With that M-Audio interface, are you able to record with backing tracks through the headphones and then put it all back together on your computer?
I drop the play along into GarageBand (or your preferred DAW), then set up the audio track to my preferences and have at it. That simple.

This particular interface has a combined feature/knob to get more or less of the DAW output (play along) in your ears, or, more or less of the input (mic).

It's ok, and durable, but I'd go up in price and features fwiw. It's sometimes hard to hear the sax when I have a thick texture coming from the DAW.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I drop the play along into GarageBand (or your preferred DAW), then set up the audio track to my preferences and have at it. That simple.

This particular interface has a combined feature/knob to get more or less of the DAW output (play along) in your ears, or, more or less of the input (mic).

It's ok, and durable, but I'd go up in price and features fwiw. It's sometimes hard to hear the sax when I have a thick texture coming from the DAW.
Thanks for the info! Keep playing both of those horns, you sound great!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Great playing, as always, Chris.
You sound great on both tenors.
I liked the tone of both.

Man, that VI sounds fat...beautiful.
Thanks for the clips, Chris.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds nice, yet more evidence that it's the player not the horn. It's slight but there is a difference in sound, roughly what my prejudice would be; 10m slightly darker, a little more body, VI sounds livelier, more feminine sound. The sound so similar that I'm not sure I have a preference though!

However, I know they feel very different. Which is maybe why we're always fiddling with gear and making changes....perhaps if we have the audience's perspective we wouldn't bother?! (I'm really talking to myself here...)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I prefer the Mark VI because the notes sound more crisp with clear definition.

At times the Conn sounds a tad muffled from one note to the next.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,380 Posts
Selmer is a little brighter but you sound great on both. It comes down to which is easiest to play and you feel is your voice. ?? I've heard great players on both horns K

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

The interesting thing to me as the player is how each instrument leads me to play a certain way due to the intrinsic qualities of each example.

The tone, response, key layout, how each takes air, etc all lead me to certain feelings and ideas....which leads to a certain kind of expression.

I still sound like me of course, but I can hear the bluesy and soulful 10M moaning an old spiritual at me, while the VI has a crispness and sparkle that makes me buzz with hope and optimism. You can go anywhere on either horn, but they each come from a different place....and lead to one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great comparison! You controlled the variables enough to where I could really hear the difference. On so many of these comparisons everything sound virtually the same.

I really preferred the Conn. It sounds deeper, thicker, meatier. I think Hakukani is correct in saying the Selmer would project more in a unmiked venue, but for recording purposes or blending in a section the Conn wins the day.

Great playing too, nicely done.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts