Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just decided to purchase a 1961 Conn 10M from AmSaxPlayer (If you were following this thread). The horn does not ship with a mouthpiece, and I've heard that 10Ms can be finicky about which mouthpiece is used (and experienced it myself on a different 10M I used to play for a while).

I'm looking for a somewhat versatile mouthpiece that will still give me that powerful jazzy feel that the 10M is known for. Unfortunately, as these things seem to go, my budget is not huge. I do own a "Yamaha Custom" tenor mouthpiece, but don't know what sort of results I can expect out of it. (?)

Also, I know where to get great deals on Vandoren mouthpieces, so if there's a Vandoren model that'd be good, that's a plus. (or something used in another brand and reasonable?)

Let's say $100ish.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,040 Posts
For that price, I'd try used pieces from here, unless you know what you want.

·
1,404 Posts
You might like the Jody Jazz HR*. It's a versatile and inexpensive piece that plays very well and should work fine on almost any horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
I know everyone blows differently, but I didn't have much luck matching Vandorens (Jumbo Java, V16) with my 10M. You'll also find that high baffled pieces might hang at the end of the cork a bit (a situation made even worse with warmer weather) which might make you have to put in more work to keep the low end stable (around D) at soft volumes. I can name some pieces that worked well for me, but they're priced at double your maximum. Lots of folks like Links on these horns, and that might be in your range, though they're not for me.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I've got a Dukoff BD Hollywood 9 (but it's about .098; I got it today) and an H9 (newer model) that both SMOKE on my 30M.

Anyway, if you can afford to spend the extra $75 you may want to order one from Mr. Dukoff himself. Something in a 7* would probably get you in the right direction. However, if you can test a bunch out at a store that is your best bet. Make sure you get an "H" chamber if you order one.

http://www.dukoff.com/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,124 Posts
I have got this and it works well on a chu so I assume it also will work well on a 10M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I have a Chu tenor and my choices are Link HR or an older Brilhart. The Brilhart is kind of an unknown for these tenors and have a great center to the sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Although they have the rep for being inconsistent, a stainless Berg 105/3 offset M bullet works great for me on my late 10M. It might be hard finding a good one for your price in metal, but it may be worth trying some HR. I'd also second Bruce's thoughts about Brilharts.

Since all mouthpieces and player's tastes are variable, CarlH offers good advice. Try some stuff bought at reasonable prices from reasonable people and resell them if they don't work for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
My 10M is very mouthpiece friendly. I alternate between a metal Link for jazzy gigs and a DG Studio for blues/rock, mouthpieces that are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I know both of those are fairly pricey, but you should be able to find similar types that will work on the Conn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Conservative choices would be Links and Brilharts.

You'll never know until you try one if it will work well for you.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I finally got to play the horn and try out mouthpieces. I traded my Yamaha Custom 4CM for a Geo M. Bundy (3), for general use and playing. Out of everything I tried, it not only played in tune, but also gave me a great dark sound that I really like.

For fun, I picked up a Brilhart Level Air 4* for $35. After the first few notes I tried with it, I let out a "Holy Sh*t!" The mouthpiece is exceptionally loud and cutting, and gives the 10M, a normally loud horn, an incredible amount of power. A lot of this could be attributed to the huge spoiler and good sized chamber. And, it plays in tune, which is a bonus!

I found with most of the mouthpieces I tried, minus the ones I bought, that they tended to throw either the upper or lower octave out of tune, but almost always Middle D was perfectly in tune. A Selmer C* was the only one that was different in that respect. It made the middle D go way out of tune, and everything else was good, but the tone just wasn't what I was looking for (very similar to the Yamaha 4CM I had). Both of the pieces I bought play fairly in tune in all registers without having to hang off the end of the neck.

I also picked up a vintage ligature, although I have no clue what it is. Looks kind of cool, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Of the Selmers, the C* is just too closed for Tenor. Go with an F or larger. Those older Bundy mouthpieces are great if they have the scooped out sidewalls. One of the better vintage pieces and some are near the Slant Links but about one tenth the price.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,948 Posts
I've used 10Ms since about 1984, and used many many mouthpieces. Unlike the earlier big bore tenors I find the 10M is great with evry single mouthpiece I've tried with it. No intonation problems and huge sound and response. Before I got my current RPC I used a custom made Dave Guradala and a Vandoren prototype, the Vandoren was a great mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
573 Posts
Geesd, rs1sensen took the words right out of my mouth, I just sent Grumps a Pvt. msg. to same effect, seeing if he has a favorite for older horns, my Brilhart4* works better on my 1951 "The Martin Tenor" than anything else ?

·
2,960 Posts
you need to try the dukoff h on this horn -amazing-heck its great on any tenor

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pete Thomas said:
Unlike the earlier big bore tenors I find the 10M is great with evry single mouthpiece I've tried with it. No intonation problems and huge sound and response.
That surprises me. I was testing a bunch of pieces when I bought mine, and I swear, 10 out of the 15 or so I tried played very out of tune unless I pushed the mouthpiece very far on or had it just hanging off of the edge of the neck (depending on if it played flat or sharp). I've found that 10M players either say that their horn is great at accepting different mouthpieces, or horrible. I wonder what causes the variation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts