Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to modify the left hand thumb rest on my 10m. Has anyone here put on a Yamaha type plastic thumb rest or a similar shaped metal thumb rest ie: Ishimori? If so, did you have to trim/modify the octave key?
Also, has anyone here had any luck with the Oleg bis key extender and front f extender on a Conn?
All thoughts welcome!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
For my 10M, I just put a cork over the LH thumbrest. You just carve out for the button, then epoxy it down, then shape it to fit. If your octave key touch is the one that's shaped like a rounded triangle, you certainly don't need to modify it, just make the hole in the cork for the button off center.

For my 16M (button is small but flat, not domed like the 10M) I epoxied an old video game token to the button. Again, off center so it clears the key touch.

For the 12M I did the cork thing too, but because it has the octave key touch that looks kind of like a fat inverted U, I had to fit it more closely. Again, no modification of the key.

The advantage of using cork (or belting leather, or Bondo, or Sugru) is that you can form it to whatever form you want, rather than being forced into what someone else decided the form should be.

I have never had the least trouble with the bis Bb or front F on a 10M, although the 16M does have quite a reach to the front F.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi check my post below.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?343518-My-lovely-lady-tranny-and-sugru-mods
For the oleg bis key, it worth every penny. Highly recommenderble.
Thanks for the reply. I've since stuck some epoxy on the horn where I need it. Solved the bis key problem really well. Also, did the LH thumb rest and the front F key. I put cork grease on the metal first so the epoxy didn't stick, then after it set I popped the pieces straight off, wiped the metal down then stuck them with a bit of contact adhesive. Entirely removable if I need it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For my Conn baritone I put on a Yamaha type plastic thumb rest over the original one. I did not modify the key but shaped the plastic. The result is very comfortable and a great relief for my troubled thumb. Since I used hot glue, I can undo it easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts